• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How do I redirect overwhelming energetic pup energy?

I have a good boy, a 1 year old 75# APBT. Super sweet dog, but he gets so excited when we get home and especially when guests come over. I love that about dogs, except he over does it a bit... For me, he doesn't jump up any more because I never reacted when he would do it to me as a younger puppy. Somehow with my little ones, he knows to not jump up but is very persistent and overwhelming with licks. For my wife, he jumps all on her when she gets home for a good 5 minutes sometimes because she can't help but react by telling him to "get down", "no", "ow", etc., lol. She tried crossing her arms and turning away and not giving attention when he does this, but I think he can sense that it still bothers her.

When guests visit, he does insane with happiness. He runs up to them like a torpedo and then jumps up to lick them in the face. This subsides after about 30 minutes, but most people can't take that. He runs around from person to person like a maniac, easily jumping up onto counters, dinner table, etc.

I've tried treats as incentives, but his pupils are fully dilated and nothing on earth breaks his focus. He does good with come, sit, lay down, stay, and a few more in normal circumstances, but the whole point of training him those commands is out the window when I need it the most. We've tried standing on the leash so that he's limited from jumping up, but it doesn't keep him from trying. Anything done to stop or slow him he just plows through or would hurt himself trying. Putting him in a different room is unenjoyable for all, as he screeches with his nose stuck under the door and scratches constantly.

Toys are as ineffective as treats, as is keeping him occupied with praise before hand. Taking him to the park to socialize is the same thing, as is the dog park. He likes playing with other dogs but he is obsessed with meeting people.

I know he's a great dog, and it super gentle with the kids in every other way (after we get home, he calms down after a little while- doesn't beg for their food, lets them play with his dog food, never growls when they pull on his fur or accidentally fall into him, etc.

Any ideas? I was hoping he'd kind of grow out of it when he grew out of the little puppy stage, but now he's a big puppy and I know it's a me issue and not a him issue. What can I do to fix my mistake? Thanks!
I would say it is always better to give them something to do vs something not to do. Training and you being 100% consistent with your rewards and your corrections.

I would say train the dog to sit or lay down and stay. Make sure the dog is competent and has it down pat before introducing the stimulus. It is all about control. If they break the commanded position apply a correction.

4 years USAF military working dog handler.

Sounds like you have a well behaved but easily excitable pup who's simply reacting to his environment and picking up on social queues. So its not so much dog training that you need, but rather human training! People tend to be more animated, speak in a higher voice, move arms and hands around more etc. This is like Crack for a puppy. And I've noticed its more extravagant the more the animal is perceived as a possible threat (Which for a lot people is certain breeds.) If you have people over on the regular, train THEM to be low stimulus. Don't speak or acknowledge the dog until your accepted behavior is completed. (Sit, Lay, Place etc). Ignore, for the most part, bad behavior and consistently reward good behavior and following of commands. Most dogs will pick up on what works to get the desired results(head scratch, belly rub etc) and what doesn't. Exercise your dog before people come over.

Or you can train the sh*t out of the dog, but in my experience, they also tend to lose alot of there essence in the process.

Your wife needs training not the dog. Dog wouldn't do it if she didn't allow it.
As far as jumping on company, your voice needs to be the word of God when he hears it.
people think I’m mean to my dog,because of the way I talk to her. When I speak she listens. She just turned 3 and I can literally point at her and command her to piss and she will.

Put your dog in it’s cage until he learns that if he does not calm down he will get put in the cage. They hate the cage so they will listen eventually. Teach him “calm” and “lay down” with treats. My 1 year old chihuahua is the same way be shes only 15lbs. She loves attention but she goes straight to the cage when I tell her “cage” when she does wrong. She will lay up against you on her back for belly rubs after that after she calms down. Make sure to use a very strict tone when you are training so they know your serious. It helps a ton

Back
Top Bottom