• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How many Veterans can relate to this like I can……

For the past 20+ years they've given that **** away like candy automatically upon discharge to any loud noise MOS.
Of course this giveaway started long after I discharged in '94.
The VA was never mentioned to me at discharge and we were chastised as Marines for even thinking about going to sickbay.

There are studies/research that documents tinnitus, related to other stuff.

Chronic sinus inflammation appears to alter brain activity: Study findings may help explain patients' complaints of poor concentration and other cognitive symptoms that accompany sinusitis. Study funding was provided by the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/04/210408153646.htm

The American Tinnitus Association states the following:

Sinus Pressure and Barometric Trauma

• Nasal congestion from a severe cold, flu, or sinus infection can create abnormal pressure in the middle ear, impacting normal hearing and causing tinnitus symptoms. Acute barotrauma, caused by extreme or rapid changes in air or water pressure, can also damage the middle and inner ear. Potential sources of barotrauma include diving/snorkeling / scuba diving, flying (only during extreme, abnormal elevation changes; normal commercial air travel is generally safe), and concussive explosive blasts.
  • Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
  • Traumatic brain injury, caused by concussive shock, can damage the brain’s auditory processing areas and generate tinnitus symptoms. TBI is one of the major catalysts for tinnitus in military and veteran populations. Nearly 60% of tinnitus cases diagnosed by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs are attributable to mild-to-severe traumatic brain injuries.
. This study shows a relationship between PTSD Symptoms and Tinnitus Severity. (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35298210/)

IIRC they VA is going to a one time payout for tinnitus. Some pittance.

My tinnitus was caused and compounded because those cheap POS foam earplugs would never stay in my ears. They would literally pop out of my ear and sometimes fly a foot away. But would the Army ever send me to get real fitted plugs? Nope... not for a looooong time. And a short time in the artillery is long enough.
Finally got "fitted" for some of the rubber plugs, and guess what? I have crazy tiny ear holes. I have to wear those tiny white rubber ear plugs. So the army gave me an entire box of them since hardly anyone ever has such small ear canals.

Personal rant over: Maybe I ought to apply again?

My tinnitus was caused and compounded because those cheap POS foam earplugs would never stay in my ears. They would literally pop out of my ear and sometimes fly a foot away. But would the Army ever send me to get real fitted plugs? Nope... not for a looooong time. And a short time in the artillery is long enough.
Finally got "fitted" for some of the rubber plugs, and guess what? I have crazy tiny ear holes. I have to wear those tiny white rubber ear plugs. So the army gave me an entire box of them since hardly anyone ever has such small ear canals.

Was never issued, offered or was it suggested that we used ear plugs when I was in the Army. Now, the Coast Guard was much better about requiring hearing protection. Hearing loss was noted on my entry physical when I went in the Coast Guard (after 3 years in the Army) but still denied by VA.

You should apply again!

Was never issued, offered or was it suggested that we used ear plugs when I was in the Army. Now, the Coast Guard was much better about requiring hearing protection. Hearing loss was noted on my entry physical when I went in the Coast Guard (after 3 years in the Army) but still denied by VA.
Get a buddy letter that spells out conditions while in the Army.

Back
Top Bottom