• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

How much money do you keep on hand Gold/Silver?

ZjU0OGU3OC5qcGc

I always wonder about people keeping gold and silver on hand just in case of an emergency. More specifically, I wonder about junk silver. At what point in a realistic emergency situation is junk silver going to come in handy to buy something? I've been through several situations where a storm hit, or something along those lines, and people started losing their ****. But at no point did I hear anyone desperately clamoring for junk silver. Getting rid of it for something in return seems like a pain in the butt.

I always wonder about people keeping gold and silver on hand just in case of an emergency. More specifically, I wonder about junk silver. At what point in a realistic emergency situation is junk silver going to come in handy to buy something? I've been through several situations where a storm hit, or something along those lines, and people started losing their ****. But at no point did I hear anyone desperately clamoring for junk silver. Getting rid of it for something in return seems like a pain in the butt.
Well, civilization hasn't TOTALLY collapsed yet. :becky:

Well, civilization hasn't TOTALLY collapsed yet. :becky:
You think people will want some junk silver then? When they have trouble getting gasoline and food? Just seems like I'm missing the scenario where it's worth having. I'd think hoarding jars of peanut butter (or a million other things) would be more valuable.

You think people will want some junk silver then? When they have trouble getting gasoline and food? Just seems like I'm missing the scenario where it's worth having. I'd think hoarding jars of peanut butter (or a million other things) would be more valuable.
Not me. I'd prefer lead. And brass/copper/powder. If it's not worth much it'd still be useful.

I guess people expect gold/silver/etc. to be useful a year or five after.

Reactions: GFB
If I recall correctly: After Hurricane Katrina wiped N'orlinz like a baby's diarrhea butt there was a hierarchy of value for those desiring to not live in the crap filled super bowl:

Gasoline: and a vehicle to get the heck out of N.O.
Guns and ammo: there was a reporter who detailed having to "brandish a firearm" to keep thugs from stealing his SUV at a hotel where he and his family were loading up to leave.
Food and Coffee: apparently, a muffin and a cup of Joe was worth more than hookers and blow.

For those who stayed in N.O., big screen TVs seemed to have some value as there are photos of thugs stealing them from Wally World and wading through chest deep water with their "prize". No electricity, mind you, but dey gotz dare TVz.

(Can't easily find that video of the guy with the TV, but here's a bunch of locals getting what they really need: fancy shoes.)

Reactions: GFB
well....without say'n anything...I'd say 10-20% of your investments should/might/ be in something "physical"....gold/silver/cash....whatever...something you can get your hands on in a hurry...you can stuff a lot of gold in a frozen chicken...

Back
Top Bottom