• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How much trade/sell value at a retail shop?

If your shop consigns, you can set a price and they usually take something like 15-20%. If you need the convenience that could be the way to go

Keep in mind that if they don't sell and you want them back, You gotta fill out a 4473 for each gun (that you already own).

In my experience, stores and pawnshops will offer you 1/3 to maybe at the most 50% of fair market value. So they're all lowballing you.
They may try to justify it not only based on their cost of their overhead,
but also the possibility that if the item is stolen it will be confiscated from them and they'll be out the money.
And even though they don't have to offer any type of warranty or guarantee,
they'll factor-in the risk that if it turns out to be a lemon,
a jam-o-matic, they might need to do something to compensate the unlucky future buyer of it, to preserve their business's reputation.

So, if you are selling them a gun that you know is not stolen,
and you know functions perfectly well,
it's offputting for them to build-in a discount for the
supposed "risk" that they fear they might face,
but which you know they're not going to face.

Its rough to sell to a store. Once upon a time I had a AR I wanted to sell. I went to a popular LGS when I lived in TN with a BNIB AR (during the first Obama month, just to set the background) and they offered me $320. Yikes, this was back when an entry sportical was $800.
So I took it to a different LGS that had just opened who did consignments. They asked what my minimum was (like $700) and let me know they didn't had a fee, they'd just add a couple hundred bucks and haggle down with a potential buyer. Cool back then ARs weren't too common.
I randomly came back in a few weeks later and saw they had my AR for 2k and had theirs for half, basically using my gun as a totem to push theirs.
I stopped being lazy and now sell my guns.
OP, stop being lazy and sell you own gun.

I've been in and out (as a buyer) at most of the local pawn shops for the last several years for fishing gear/guns/movies/etc. The few times I've sold them something the average is around 30-40% of retail (as some here have said), they tend to give me a slightly better percentage (bout 45% or so of retail). With guns, they tend to give a bit less than the average (30-40%) because they may have more to lose on their end if the gun winds up being a dud or sits forever on their shelf.

Back
Top Bottom