• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

How the **** do I get this thread protector off?

Thats all it takes. Its regular threaded. Should be on there tight but you need the wrench. Once you have the thread adapter on, you wont be able to remove the slide without it. Call S&W for a wrench

I actually locked the slide back and tightened the very tip of the barrel down in my vice, then manhandled the pistol around....Even going that route involved some muscle...Good luck!
The wrench ain't gonna do squat. It's standard thread, not reversed.

Any suggestions for a gun store local to Marietta that might be able to work this out? Just called ga firing line and they didn't have the specific wrench needed

Wow, dang man. That's one jacked thread protector.

have you tried a die grinder wrench? Many are thin and smaller one are the size you need.

The compact doesnt come with a wrench like it's big brother the full size, at least mine did not.

Its a well known documented problem with the new compact models that the protector is basically welded on. I just had the same issue a few weeks back. First thing is keep calm and quit trying to use force. Put a little oil on it, wait a hour, and stick it in the freezer for a bit. Then slowely twist off the adapter using some needle nose vise grips. Apply opposite force to the frame will help but be careful not to apply to much or you'll damage something else. Id also say be careful of the thread protector but it looks pretty good and boogered up already, just like mine. :)

Last edited:
You are also aware that the compact doesnt take a standard 22 thread adapter correct? It doesnt use the same adapters as the full size MP22, Walther P22, etc. There are a few specialty places selling them online though. Just hate for you to go through all the trouble of getting that thread protector off only to have the wrong replacment part.

Back
Top Bottom