• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How tight should the oil plug be ?…

I was going to say the quick lube places don’t need to torque to spec when they cross thread the drain plug with an impact wrench. 😆

I always change the oil on my truck myself and I use a torque wrench. Maybe I am overly cautious but I want it to last a long time. Too many stories about someone’s Ole Faithful dying suddenly after that last trip to the quick lube.
I don't use a torque wrench but I know what snug is. Not super tight but snug. Some shade tree mechanics just don't know when to stop.

I do use a torque wrench in all other engine and suspension parts but after you have done 10,000 oil changes you get a feel for it. I worked at service stations and I was the lead service tech at a shop so I have seen my fair shair of repairs and preventive maintenance.

I don't use a torque wrench but I know what snug is. Not super tight but snug. Some shade tree mechanics just don't know when to stop.

I do use a torque wrench in all other engine and suspension parts but after you have done 10,000 oil changes you get a feel for it. I worked at service stations and I was the lead service tech at a shop so I have seen my fair shair of repairs and preventive maintenance.
I have no doubt someone with tons of experience knows how tight feels right. I just don’t trust myself so I torque near everything to spec except the skid plate.

I use some #2 sealant on the threads. Keeps from leaking and you don't have to tighten as much, snug + a tad. I use a small wrench to tighten so I don't over do it. Takes a bit more to get it off on next change due to sealant. Always make sure you're tuning bolt the correct direction so as not to damage something

I use some #2 sealant on the threads. Keeps from leaking and you don't have to tighten as much, snug + a tad. I use a small wrench to tighten so I don't over do it. Takes a bit more to get it off on next change due to sealant. Always make sure you're tuning bolt the correct direction so as not to damage something
They ran out of sealant, so used loctite instead. Red loctite because it's prettier..

Back in my hood days no one had a torque wrench or common sense.

So when we had to tighten something up on the car, and if asking someone when in doubt on how tight it had to be...the answers were...either 1 grunt, 2 grunts, or 3 grunts with a wrench or ratchet.

Oil pan bolt was 1 grunt.
Wheel nut was 2 grunts.
Leaf spring shackle bolts were 3 grunts, etc.

Back
Top Bottom