• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How to avoid individuals with multiple accounts

Aegis

Default rank <5000 posts
ODT Junkie!
447   0
Reaction score
How Do I ensure someone that has negative feedback on one account , doesnt just make another to do a deal with me. Skirts the feedback system.

How do I ensure that someone who is a complete and total tool on the forums isnt making another account, and I don't want to deal with them at all, There are people who I philosophically disagree with to such an extent that I wouldnt feel comfortable putting a gun in their hand, but in allowing multiple accounts, I dont know If a new person is not also someone on my blacklist.

Im not bringing this up now because of the recent drama nonsense, but because I thought this was already a one account only place.

How Do I ensure someone that has negative feedback on one account , doesnt just make another to do a deal with me. Skirts the feedback system.

How do I ensure that someone who is a complete and total tool on the forums isnt making another account, and I don't want to deal with them at all, There are people who I philosophically disagree with to such an extent that I wouldnt feel comfortable putting a gun in their hand, but in allowing multiple accounts, I dont know If a new person is not also someone on my blacklist.

Im not bringing this up now because of the recent drama nonsense, but because I thought this was already a one account only place.

X2. All you have here is your word.

Should implement some sort of a IP register per user name.

Impossible nowadays.

Short answer is you can't, just how the internet is. If you're concerned then go back and read someone's posts, check their feedback, etc until you feel fairly confident the user is genuine. We deal with extra accounts as they are found but their is no way to find them all.

I honestly do not feel that this is that widespread of a problem, it's a lot of work to have multiple accounts.

The only way to to prevent this from happening is by requiring much more information for you to have an account, similar to gunbroker, and I don't think that would fly with a lot of the users.

X2. All you have here is your word.
I have great feedback here, and thats why I am here instead of Armslist or Craigslist or elsewhere. But if I can't trust that someone else isnt abusing the system, How do I know who I am dealing with?
Compounded by the fact that I might be dealing with potentially DISHONEST people and Weapons are involved.

please dont take this the wrong way. Ive met 100s of great people here, the community is absolutely Awesome. I just want to know who I am dealing with.

Im ok with name changes, I can look that up. Multiple accounts only purpose is defrauding someone in some way.

Impossible nowadays.

Short answer is you can't, just how the internet is. If you're concerned then go back and read someone's posts, check their feedback, etc until you feel fairly confident the user is genuine. We deal with extra accounts as they are found but their is no way to find them all.

I honestly do not feel that this is that widespread of a problem, it's a lot of work to have multiple accounts.

The only way to to prevent this from happening is by requiring much more information for you to have an account, similar to gunbroker, and I don't think that would fly with a lot of the users.

no One account per IP Address?

Bummer. Guess new users get the shaft, as I will just have to avoid them.

Way off topic but consider this tag line absconded with "Part of the vast Libertarian Conspiracy, We want to take over... and leave you alone."

Back
Top Bottom