• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How to beat a $2,000 upper with a $300 Bear Creek (and $200,000 in machining equipment and a $100,000 metrology lab)

I just watched an Honest Outlaw video about a complete 16" mid length AR that BCA sent him for a review. He got 2" to 3" groups with budget ammo and no failures whatsoever. He was impressed by what was described as a $369.00 rifle. At that price I was kinda impressed.
Now I have bought/owned pistol length uppers all in 5.56 from BCA at least 4 times in the last few years. I liked their gen 1 side charger upper. And I've owned a couple of the rear chargers. But then they introduced a gen 2 side charger which was improved because the more AKish handle sat on a pin and was screwed down with a hex head screw in front of that. The original one was just a round knurled handle on a screw which would back out of not lock tited. But my gen 2 side charger wouldn't chamber a round all the way AND would hang up on it very tight. As in butt stroking it on a hard surface while pulling on the handle. Dangerous situation to say the least. But THEN I went round and round with BCA customer service about it even after sending a video of the issue. They sent it back to me not once but twice saying they found no issues. Only after I started telling this same story in the comments on all their YouTube videos did they contact me and send me a credit for the amount of my purchase.
I hated since I had previously had zero issues with their uppers aside from loose screws on their rails. I believe I would give them another chance since I dig side chargers AND they have a new bufferless AR 9 setup.

The final order of business is certainly the worst of it, and the most controversial so buckle up!

For my high precision work I really like the upper and barrel extension to be a "High Interference, Thermal Fit"

That means that I generally like the barrel extension to be around .002" LARGER than the receiver.

If this was a perfect world and BCA was not a bargain bin priced upper geared towards the casual market, that would still be at least only a slightly unreasonable request.

Aaand welcome back to reality. The barrel extension is a hotdog in a hallway. We're going to have to shim it. Because we have to shim it, we're also going to do what the internet now says is a waste of time... We're going to "bed" it as well. AKA: we're going to cover all pieces in red loctite before we set them together.

I won't disgrace this fine thread filled with inquiring minds by having it devolve into an argument about bedding barrels. So I'll leave your opinion to yourself and my own to myself.

Measuring the parts was done just with a cheap set of calipers that I trust about as much as any of my Mitutoyos, but locked in place and then promptly checked by my Mitutoyo Micrometers.

A shim was prepared to fit snugly between the parts. It is hardened carbon steel, so when thermal fit it will dig itself soundly into the soft aluminum of the upper. I roughed the surface of the parts with a diamond nail file stolen from my wife's funny looking baskets and threw the steel parts in the bottom of my SubZero fridge for a few hours.

The aluminum parts I put in an old toaster oven I use for slow tempering tooling after heat treatment. I set it for 300 degrees and twiddled my thumbs. I watched the anodizing for any change in color or luster.

When the infrared thermometer said the receiver was ready, I removed them both from their places and stuck them together!

When they only went half way together, even after pounding them with a mallet, I got scared and did what any self respecting man does. I turned off the lights, crawled in bed, and complained to my wife.

The next day I popped them in the toaster oven together. I knew the thermal changes within steel and aluminum are far different and it could work with enough trying. if I broke the upper, I was out $300. No big deal.

On the 4th attempt, it worked and they were permanently one piece... For better or worse!

When thermal fitting parts, I always use at least one barrel nut shim because it makes me feel better I guess?

Attachments

• IMG_1973.jpeg
    IMG_1973.jpeg
    217.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1974.jpeg
    IMG_1974.jpeg
    215.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1979.jpeg
    IMG_1979.jpeg
    186.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1980.jpeg
    IMG_1980.jpeg
    208.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1977.jpeg
    IMG_1977.jpeg
    141.4 KB · Views: 36
I just watched an Honest Outlaw video about a complete 16" mid length AR that BCA sent him for a review. He got 2" to 3" groups with budget ammo and no failures whatsoever. He was impressed by what was described as a $369.00 rifle. At that price I was kinda impressed.
Now I have bought/owned pistol length uppers all in 5.56 from BCA at least 4 times in the last few years. I liked their gen 1 side charger upper. And I've owned a couple of the rear chargers. But then they introduced a gen 2 side charger which was improved because the more AKish handle sat on a pin and was screwed down with a hex head screw in front of that. The original one was just a round knurled handle on a screw which would back out of not lock tited. But my gen 2 side charger wouldn't chamber a round all the way AND would hang up on it very tight. As in butt stroking it on a hard surface while pulling on the handle. Dangerous situation to say the least. But THEN I went round and round with BCA customer service about it even after sending a video of the issue. They sent it back to me not once but twice saying they found no issues. Only after I started telling this same story in the comments on all their YouTube videos did they contact me and send me a credit for the amount of my purchase.
I hated since I had previously had zero issues with their uppers aside from loose screws on their rails. I believe I would give them another chance since I dig side chargers AND they have a new bufferless AR 9 setup.
Man I hate that for you!!

But I will say that my mindset when buying or recommending a BCA product is that you do so at your own risk and short of owning a full machine shop or gun smithing shop, I'm not sure I would.

Final assembly (and slight counterbore on the barrel and chamber) began and the rifle was ready for the final test...

I will have to say. This thing turned out pretty dang nice. It now bears* the Bear Creek Arsenal name in irony. Kind of poetic no?

Attachments

• IMG_1982.jpeg
    IMG_1982.jpeg
    87 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1983.jpeg
    IMG_1983.jpeg
    114.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1984.jpeg
    IMG_1984.jpeg
    178.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1961.jpeg
    IMG_1961.jpeg
    228.4 KB · Views: 34
Soiling your thread with mine

Because there is just absolutely no reason you should own BCA anything…..unless you like pot metal and living on a prayer.

Interesting read. Stretch it to 500 yards and see what the group size is. I've had 308s shoot .5 moa at 100, and 4 moa at 500.

Imo, a barrel without rifling that is not bent should hurl a 1 moa group at 100 yards.

Back
Top Bottom