How to make cleaning an aluminum 22 can easy

batoncolle

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
35   0
Reaction score
Or any can for that matter...

Step 1: Get yourself some Bore Butter and coat your suppressor before shooting. Bore Butter is used to help reduce the fouling on black powder guns.

Step 2: Either soak it in paint thinner, put them in a ziploc bag and spray with Gun Scrubber, or just simply wipe down. The only slight scrubbing required is to remove the anti-seize on the threads.

That is pretty much it, and no hard scrubbing is required. Both of those cans had approximately 500 rounds each through them yesterday, and that pic is after about 15 minutes in the paint thinner. Bore Butter will save you the hassle of any scrubbing.

i203.photobucket.com_albums_aa225_lk125678_clean_22_can_zps0950fd58.jpg

I haven't had really luck with any 22 can cleaning..! I have the interlocking aluminum cups not the one piece internals like urs. Ill give the bore butter a shot... The carbon is just rock hard no matter what I soak it in.. Mineral spirits, tranny fluid, techron, I have to end up using a dermel either way. I even coated the cups with 2000degree antiseize still get hard carbon..

Bore Butter helps keep the fouling from caking to the internals. I have also read it may be similar to Frog Lube so that may be another option for you to try.

Bore Butter helps keep the fouling from caking to the internals. I have also read it may be similar to Frog Lube so that may be another option for you to try.

Frog lube or white lithium grease (silencerco recommends) and clean every 500. Silencerco also suggest WD40 soak over night

I have about 4000 through my Sparrow and like new

Frog lube or white lithium grease (silencerco recommends) and clean every 500. Silencerco also suggest WD40 soak over night

I have about 4000 through my Sparrow and like new

Yeah I forgot about WD40. It is a good degreaser, and I use it on my bike chains to remove grease. And that is interesting about Frog Lube. I think anything you can use to withstand the high heat and keep the crud from caking on will pretty much work. If I am feeling lazy, I normally just wipe it down and recoat until the next time.

Yeah I forgot about WD40. It is a good degreaser, and I use it on my bike chains to remove grease. And that is interesting about Frog Lube. I think anything you can use to withstand the high heat and keep the crud from caking on will pretty much work. If I am feeling lazy, I normally just wipe it down and recoat until the next time.

WD40 is not a degreaser. It WILL get globs of grease and tar off but it isn't a degreaser.

I haven't had really luck with any 22 can cleaning..! I have the interlocking aluminum cups not the one piece internals like urs. Ill give the bore butter a shot... The carbon is just rock hard no matter what I soak it in.. Mineral spirits, tranny fluid, techron, I have to end up using a dermel either way. I even coated the cups with 2000degree antiseize still get hard carbon..

A rotary tumbler is another good method for removing the carbon, I say avoid the antiseize.

Not sure how this will work w/ aluminum, but I clean my Osprey pistons with Purple Power degreaser so that may have some good effects for you guys.

Also be careful w/ your tubes and what chemicals you put on them to not ruin your finish.

Back
Top Bottom