How to remove rust from gas tank

Gimmeguns

Default rank <4500 posts
ODT Junkie!
101   0
Reaction score
i have a 1984 Honda V65 Sabre 1100S I bought from a member. It had been in storage, I rebuilt the carbs and put new igniters on it, removed the gas tank ( to clean out old gas) and noticed quite a bit of rust in the tank.

I was going to use small steel balls to break up the scale in the tank and then remove them with a magnet, but it seems to have areas inside the tank that are difficult to access.

Anybody have experience or a technic for removing the rust?

I have read about people using vinegar, because it is a mild acid ( but I think it is 95% water, so it would flash rust.

Any thoughts?

They use to make a kit just for motorcycles. Included the chemical for rust removal and then an epoxy you would pour in once the was gone to re coat the tank. Worked ok.

Now I wonder if Evapo-Rust would work even better??

I used Apple Cider Vinegar and it worked pretty well!

I'm going to strain it and then go half/half with water to clean the cooling system.

When I was 12 or 13 I had same issue with a go cart. took tank off and put a bunch of rock in it and shook it a bunch. The rocks knocked off rust. I washed out a few times with carb cleaner and gas and it worked great

Just went through this on a Kawasaki that had been "fixed" once before with clean and sealer job on tank.

I ended up replacing the tank with a new one as there was no way to prevent the flash rust after cleaning the tank. If flash rust is present when you seal, the sealer will come off (eventually) and totally plug the fuel filter, repeatedly.

Back
Top Bottom