Hunting in Kansas

Trout Slayer

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
10   0
Reaction score
Does anyone here ever hunt in Kansas? I'm looking into planning a trip for the 2013 season and would love to have some tips and pointers if anyone has any. I don't want to use an outfitter. I'd prefer to hunt public land or find permission on a farm or some property.

Thanks a ton for the help!

My buddy just brought back his mount he got. Last I heard it was kanasas's muzzle loader state record. Very big deer he has been hunting it for years. I dont know anything about the place.

I grew up 10 miles from the Nebraska/Kansas Border on the Nebraska side. Tip #1, don't count on much in the way of good quality, low pressure public land. #2, good luck finding a farmer that doesn't want to hunt his own deer, and is willing to let someone that drives up the driveway hunt. #3, ALWAYS ask!

My best recommendation is this: Find some public areas to hunt, and spend about a third of your time talking with locals,and driving around the country and asking folks to hunt. Odds are you will find one or two guys that MIGHT let you come back the following year. Don't forget to send them a nice ham or turkey via Cabelas online ordering, and a Christmas card with a picture of your family. That should seal the deal.

Best of luck.

^Yep, just don't go with too high of expectations the first year. Consider it a scouting trip. Public land gets LOTS of pressure, it's better to go during muzzleloader or pointy stick season if you are in to that. Don't forget to take your shotgun, there is some excellent pheasant hunting up that way, and it's much easier to get permission to chase birds than deer. Avoid the holidays, as everyone hunts with the fam in their free time.
Before you go make sure to purchase one of those Gazetteer maps. They show all of the backroads, crp, and wma's and it's big enough to read.

I'm a bow hunter so do you think that will give me better odds on the public lands? What about the farms?
I know the first time will be tough for sure and I'm hoping to make some good connections up there in the next few months.
Do you have anyone that you could point me to? You can private message me any info you don't want shared.
I really appreciate the info you've already given me too!!

Sure thing. Are you commited to Kansas? If so, which part. If you are willing to travel a bit further north you will find as good of a population of large bucks with less pressure, and the license is cheaper. If you would consider south central Nebraska I have some guys, and family members in mind that might be willing to help you out.

Back
Top Bottom