• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Turkey hunting tips and tricks

Don’t forget yours Order today it’s magic

Things you have done and resulted in killing the bird.

The most important thing I’ve done is learn to shut up when I know he is getting closer.it’s hard not to call when you don’t know if he’s still coming.remember time means nothing to a Turkey.
Put them to bed.... be in the woods one hour before sundown. Listen for the birds to fly up and nest for the night. Come back before sunup and start some quite gobbles, keekee's and purrs. Be ready when you hear them fly down and try and entice them to come to you.

Selecting the exact spot to set up on a bird is paramount.
Try to set up in a spot where the bird will likely want to be, not where you want him to be.
Sometimes we get right on top of one and have to set up right then and there….cant really help that when it happens. If you have the time, survey the area and see what looks like a spot where the bird would want to end up at.

Another thing that seems to help is setting up behind the crest of a hill or around the curve in a woods road. If I can help it, I’m not going to give a bird a wide open, clear view of my setup where he can safely scan the area from out of gun range. I want him to crest the hill or apex a curve in the road to be able to see and be in gun range when he does it.

Lastly, have your gun up on your knee and ready when you think a bird is close. If you can see a bird that you plan to shoot, go ahead and follow it with your shotgun bead as soon as it gets into view. Don’t wait until a bird is in gun range to move your gun into position. This will most often get you busted.

Stealth and a Decoy

94785227_956749414756236_3371797129793110016_n (1).jpg

Got to shut up when they're getting close, even if they're quiet which a lot of time they are.
The last 2 mature Toms that I have called in this season have done just that. Gobble from far off and then go dead silent the final 100-150 yards.

One bird started out hot as can be, gobbling every breath and then was dead silent for an hour before he came in to my setup. Once he showed, he never came in to range.

The second one only gave me a courtesy gobble from 100-150 yards away and was moving away when I called to him. I made a few soft calls in return and then went silent on him. 45 minutes later he came back, strutting and looking intently for the hen that he heard.
Shot him at 25 yards after watching him strut for a few minutes.

Back
Top Bottom