Hunting with the iron sights

Remington 742, 750, Winchester model 100 Browning BAR (might be hard to keep under $800) at typical iron sight ranges you might consider the Ruger 44 carbine in .44 mag

Saiga is a darn good rifle for the money. The one I have is fairly accurate. The one I have is in 308. Hitting deer sized game at 100 yards is no problem with iron sights. I used them until I put on my red dot.

If you're on a budget, hunt with a piece of history. My first deer was taken with an SMLE No. 1 MKIII. You can pick up a good shooting SMLE for under $300. My second deer was taken with an M1 Garand. Both shots were with iron sights around 75 yards.

I used a sks for a couple years. Not very accurate, killed 4 does one year, its a good brush gun, don't have to worry about getting it scratched and it has a easy to reach safety you can flip as your bringing the rifle up to shoot. You can get a good used sks for around $250 and there's lots of aftermarket parts available. I had a synthetic stock with adjustable butt stock. And 30 round mags are available for cheap.

Back
Top Bottom