• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Hybrid vehicles or other

I sold my 2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD back in 2014 for a used sedan--it still gets about 23mpg vs the 11mpg the Sierra got. Gas was less than $1 a gallon when I bought it new in 2001, but by 2014, I no longer needed a pick-up truck and gas was getting expensive. I remember seeing $2.01 at gas stations in 2005, and though it was the end of the world! While considering jobs in 2014, I had to keep the commute under 15 miles one way in order to keep it cost effective for the low pay I was getting. You may wish to look at a used Mazda3--my wife has had three in the past 13 years, and her 2020 gets 33mpg (a gasoline engine). Compare that to just keeping what you have as others have suggested. On the commute: no way would I do a 67 mile commute twice a day. 30 miles is my limit.

I'd consider a Toyota Hybrid. Camry is nice and would probably be near the top of my list for racking up miles. A Corolla would make a perfect commuter if you fit comfortably in it and don't need the extra room. I'd prefer the larger sedan personally though.

You run your truck into the ground and you'll need another truck. A new F150 will probably cost about $2 million soon. I'd conserve miles on the truck and keep it around for truck stuff.

I'd consider a Toyota Hybrid. Camry is nice and would probably be near the top of my list for racking up miles. A Corolla would make a perfect commuter if you fit comfortably in it and don't need the extra room. I'd prefer the larger sedan personally though.

You run your truck into the ground and you'll need another truck. A new F150 will probably cost about $2 million soon. I'd conserve miles on the truck and keep it around for truck stuff.
Great point about killing his truck with all those miles. OP also has to consider wear and tear on HIM. Do you love your job enough to spend 4-5 hours a day in traffic? Is it really good income? Maybe put up with the commute for a year while searching for a better job.

134 miles a day X 5 days a week with roughly 48 weeks = 32,160
At 22 mpg,that's 1,,462 gallons.
If you can find something that AVERAGES 33 mpg (no small feat), it's 975 gallons or a savings of 472 gallons. At $2.75 gallon, that's a savings of $1,339. Are you going to keep the truck? If so subtract the annual additional insurance and earnings on what you'd make on what you paid for the new car and decide if it's worth it. It almost never is.

At 22 mpg,that's 1,,462 gallons.
If you can find something that AVERAGES 33 mpg (no small feat), it's 975 gallons or a savings of 472 gallons. At $2.75 gallon, that's a savings of $1,339. Are you going to keep the truck? If so subtract the annual additional insurance and earnings on what you'd make on what you paid for the new car and decide if it's worth it. It almost never is.
I'm not sure what I am going to do. It is suppose to happen around February or March of next year. I don't know if I could physically or mentally handle 3 plus hours of driving every day. Also, Kemp will eventually have to reinstate the gas tax.

I have thought about getting a commuter car with better gas mileage, but I'm only 51. At the earliest, I can retire at 57. Six years is an awfully long time.

Great point about killing his truck with all those miles. OP also has to consider wear and tear on HIM. Do you love your job enough to spend 4-5 hours a day in traffic? Is it really good income? Maybe put up with the commute for a year while searching for a better job.
You are correct. The wear and tear on me is a major problem.

I commute a 110 miles a day. 1 hour in the morning , 1.5 hours in the evening. Been making this drive for 6 yrs now. Is it worth it? Yes, to live where i am is completely worth it. Some days when there is bad weather or a accident you will question your life choices. But most days are fine. Toyota Corolla is my choice for commuting. 40 mpg cheap insurance cheap maintenance. 4 more years to go.

I drive a 22 Prius and get 53.2 mpg over 34k. New ones have 194hp and should be a blast and show 52/52 on window sticker. Wife drives a Rav4 hybrid and gets 38 with her lead foot. She is 64 miles way. They have come a long ways since the early ones.

You have lots of options. My wife and I always drove long distances for work, pay and benefits. One thing I learned is to drive something comfortable if you're going to be spending a lot of time in it. Another is maybe you could get a company vehicle. My last tour, I drove diesels. You'll get about 50% better fuel mileage than a gas of same type vehicle and less maintenance. Maybe you could get a pay raise or find another job. Thing is with the job market like it is, it would be in their best interest to keep you happy. If it were me and pay made sense, I'd drive Toyota, Lexus, european diesel or diesel truck, Any of these vehicles would last a long time with many, many miles. The diesels, I'd get one made before 2007 so you don't have to deal with all the new emissions and they'll get better mileage. The truck, I'd pic a Dodge with the 5.9L diesel. I get 36+ mpg with a 2.5L Mercedes. The truck was @ 20mpg. You won't get that out of any other full size truck with a diesel V8. The Dodge is a 6cyl. Only other choice is a hybrid. And the Toyota or Lexus would be my choice. I've heard of Prius with 300-400K on them with no battery issues. There are hybrid trucks as well

Back
Top Bottom