• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hydro dipping wood stock

HERMET

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
56   0
Reaction score
I have an old rifle stock that is a little the worst for wear and I'm looking to add a little character. I've watched a few videos on hydro dipping and I'm thinking that might be the way to go.
My question that no one in any of the videos I've watched has addressed is if I need to prime the raw stock before dipping and if so what with?
Any tips or advice would be welcome.

I have an old rifle stock that is a little the worst for wear and I'm looking to add a little character. I've watched a few videos on hydro dipping and I'm thinking that might be the way to go.
My question that no one in any of the videos I've watched has addressed is if I need to prime the raw stock before dipping and if so what with?
Any tips or advice would be welcome.
Give @jclem02 at Rough Creek Traders a shout. He does great work. They dipped my granddaughter's competition bb gun and it turned out fantastic!!
IMG_20160506_1452079_rewind.jpg

IMG_20160506_1451540_rewind.jpg

My understanding of the process is that the stock need to be primed with a good quality automotive primer. Jon can give you much better advice.

You need to prime all surfaces before dipping when you dip your stock it’s not going to be in water all that long to affect the wood but you will still need to rinse well but primer( color )coat is for a base coat for the film lite or darker primer affects finished film color look on you tube if haven’t already wal mart caries a etching type primer that helps stick to surfaces then can lightly sand and apply base color recommended by the film maker
Hopes this helps

You need to prime all surfaces before dipping when you dip your stock it’s not going to be in water all that long to affect the wood but you will still need to rinse well but primer( color )coat is for a base coat for the film lite or darker primer affects finished film color look on you tube if haven’t already wal mart caries a etching type primer that helps stick to surfaces then can lightly sand and apply base color recommended by the film maker
Hopes this helps
Thanks I'm in the shop stripping the stock now. I've been doing wood refinishing for many years but I've never tried anything like this.

Back
Top Bottom