• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I have a decision to make and would like some input.

greg vess

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Elite Idiot
120   1
Reaction score
I have narrowed down the two barrels I am going to use for this current build. I acquired a budget 308 and I replace the barrel with a 18 inch. BA Hanson Profile Dark Series job. It will shoot sub MOA with cheap ammo and I haven't run the food stuff through it yet. Now to the subject at hand. I have decided between two barrel.

1st one - A Criterion Hybrid 16 inch Stainless steel Nitrided barrel that is right at 400. 389.99 to be exact but by the time it gets here it will rip a 400 dollar bill apart.

2nd option - A Rainer Arms Stainless Ultra Match barrel that is 450. The last Rainer Arms barrel I used was the bomb. 1/2 MOA easily if I do my part. That's with Federal GMM 168 Sierra OTM.

the difference in price is so close I am having a hard time deciding. It's going to be more of a compact gun with good accuracy. I like the Idea of the nitrided barrel since they actually do a more effective 1200° salt bath which does harden the surface significantly. Both I presume will be very accurate and the weight between the two is very close. Just a tad over 2lbs. The only draw back is I haven't tried a Criterion barrel yet. I am going with another 308 instead of 6.5 Creed just to keep from having to stock another caliber.

I Would appreciate some input from you guys on which one you would consider or maybe another manufacturer that I haven't considered yet.

What say he?

Either one will do what you intend but I’d recommend looking at faxon as well

I put one on a 6.5 grendel build and it is lights out and I would not hesitate using another barrel by them.

You likely won't notice a huge difference between the two. I beleive the blanks ranier uses are from criterion. You are paying slightly more for their name.

If you are suppressing I'd make sure the gas port diameter is sized for what you need. Otherwise just take your pick between the two.

Back
Top Bottom