• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I have some confusion about AR pistol laws

I thought it was a pistol even if the OAL exceeds 26" until a VFG is added. After further reading I believe the AOW firearm designation applies only IF I add a VFG. Is that not correct? In that configuration it would be a legally designated pistol with a 29" OAL.
The AOW comes into play when your OAL is less than 26” and your bbl is less than 16” but you want to use a vertical fore grip in its truest sense (not an AFG). Then correct it would be classified as an AOW. Just because the bbl is less than 16” doesn’t necessarily marry it into the “pistol” category hence the “firearm” category.

Answering your second question, you can use any legal firearm (in the broad general) sense for hunting that is not otherwise limited by season, species, or location, i.e. only rimfires and shotgun for small game.

You can use silencers, your M-60 or a sawed off shotgun, if they have been legally registered.

OAL length 26” or more if YOU manufactured it from a stripped receiver YOU manufactured a firearm you never made a pistol or a SBR or a rifle.

If less than 26” OAL with a bbl less than 16” you made a pistol and may use an angled grip but nothing you can wrap your hand or fingers around

It matters because you’re manufacturing. You can either manufacture a pistol, a firearm, a short Barreled rifle, a rifle.

You cannot take a rifle you bought as a rifle, or a pistol you bought as a pistol, and then turn these into “firearms”

Whether a manufacturer made it, or you manufactured it, it started as a nothing and you created a something. That’s how you’re able to make/manufacture a “firearm” that was never a pistol and never a rifle so not subject to either of their nuances.

Much like the shockwave firearms, they had to have been MANUFACTURED as a firearm, I.e. never had a stock, was never a pistol. Started as a virgin receiver with the intentions of being manufactured into a firearm.

There are no loopholes, only law. It is legal to manufacture or purchase a firearm with an OAL of 26” and install a vertical foregrip.

Don’t know **** about hunting
This ought to be thumb tacked to the top of the Law and Order page.

well now i am thoroughly confused.10.5 inch barrel with 6 inch pinned and welded muzzle brake,with adj rifle stock and angled fore grip? yes /no ?
Yes 100%

Assuming you’re manufacturing from a stripped receiver or from a “rifle” receiver since when you’re done (with the pinned and welded bbl) you’re classified as a rifle

Yes 100%

Assuming you’re manufacturing from a stripped receiver or from a “rifle” receiver since when you’re done (with the pinned and welded bbl) you’re classified as a rifle

Remembering you can convert a pistol into a rifle, but NOT a rifle into a pistol.

Picked this one up and plan to hold because I have added the extras, but thought I'd throw it on here just in case. Happy to sell if possible.

well now i am thoroughly confused.10.5 inch barrel with 6 inch pinned and welded muzzle brake,with adj rifle stock and angled fore grip? yes /no ?
Yep it'd be legal case in point, look at an AMD65,k it has a 12 1/2 barrel and a welded rake to get the 16" LENGTH.

An aow if vert fore grip and a $5 fee and time in atf jail till approved if atf hasn't changed it I think. Not an attorney not legal advice your mileage may vary.

Back
Top Bottom