• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

I miss the 70's.

Comanche

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
124   0
Reaction score
image.jpg

Being "run out" of the house after breakfast,( with a sandwich for lunch) with Mom yelling over your shoulder to be home before dark.....
Heck we spent all day fishing, riding our bikes(on the streets), and going to the corner store by ourselves(gasp).... Great summers! Camping out in the backyard.... Week long stays at the lake....
It's all different now. Kids don't go outside to play anymore.

We used to make huge dirt ramps at the bottom of a dead end road (down hill slope!) and "jump" them. Broken wrists and getting racked were the normal injuries.

One day about ten years later my mother found some old 110mm photographs of us dong the jumps...she about fainted. We had to be 4-5 feet in the air! The "sissy bar" rear support for those old banana seats never stood up to a whole summer of our abuse.

Oh my god I don't know how I managed to never break a bone but I sure tried hard.

We lived at the bottom of a culdesac on a hilly street surrounded by hilly streets.
We would start at the top of the neighborhood and come down each street and take the bend so fast we would amost wipe out trying to gain more speed for the third hill in which at the bottom was our massive jump at the sidewalk in front of my house.
We would see how many spruce trees we could jump over without getting killed..lol.
My Buddy Leo who was a mini version of Bruce Lee... Light , lean but all muscle and strong as an ox always went the highest and farthest because of his weight/ strength ratio.
On day he landed on the pine tree in my back yard which was 46 feet from the jump.
He must have went 25' high.
Mid air I thought he was dead for sure.
The tree cushioned his fall but his balls took a hell of a beating haha.
He maintained that record till this day.
We were some crazy hell raisers.
I have so many scars from those days and wouldn't trade them for the world.

I envy you people. Guns were common and not kid-killers, you didn't have "swag" and "yolo" **** like my generation has. It was actually cool to go outside and have fun without making it a selfie storm because you saw a tree. Luckily my parents raised me well and we camped and hunted a lot, but damn, I seriously do not like my generation.

I remember riding in the back window of the old Buick! All laid out and sometimes taking a nap there when on longer trips. We jumped everything that would serve as a ramp and even broke a few bones. By the time I was 6, I was out after breakfast carrying a .410 single shot and a fishing rod...

Back
Top Bottom