• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

I miss the 70's.

We walked around with firecrackers, BB guns and sometimes .22's .
We burned everything. Killed all sorts of birds and game. All my buddies are still alive to tell the tale.

Same here but most of my buddy's are dead and never made it past high school unfortunately.
Some are so messed up now that it would not be good for anyone to reunite with them.
Sad but suicide, drugs, drunk driving got the best of some of my best childhood friends but the remaining ones are doing well.
Four of my buddies that lived on either side of my culdesac died way too young.
Two years ago my best friend that lived behind me hung himself at 46 years old because he was about to do some jail time for his umpteenth DUI and couldn't bear the thought of not being able to drink alcohol so he hung himself in his moms basement.
I reached out to him numerous times but he was too far gone to quit.
His Dad died at 53y/o from drinking.

I was born in 71 so I missed most of it. But I recall riding an escalator for the first time at the Sears that used to be in downtown Macon. Then it moved to the Macon Mall in 75. Now it's gone completely. I've said it more than once but I'd give up iPhone Internet and all that to go back to coffee in a percolator , wood grain console TVs with rotator antennas and a 72 Monte Carlo. Or maybe a 69 Cougar, or 71 Fury with the 440 etc.

i'm ready for something completely different, maybe a combo of Mayberry, Gilligans island, Waltons mountain.

rcar, post: 5246578, member: 36900"]I was born in 71 so I missed most of it. But I recall riding an escalator for the first time at the Sears that used to be in downtown Macon. Then it moved to the Macon Mall in 75. Now it's gone completely. I've said it more than once but I'd give up iPhone Internet and all that to go back to coffee in a percolator , wood grain console TVs with rotator antennas and a 72 Monte Carlo. Or maybe a 69 Cougar, or 71 Fury with the 440 etc.[/QUOTE]

"letusbuyyourcar, post: 5246583, member: 36900"]Can't go back to my old neighborhood in south Macon anymore. That's where all the armed robberies and homicides happen.[/QUOTE]

Yep.... one that sticks out in my mind was there was a patch of woods at the end of the neighborhood owned by "Old man Matthews" (didn't every neighborhood have an "Old Man something or other"?). Anyway, thankfully for us, he didn't mind (apparently) if we ran amuck in his woods. Now they were probably 40 acres but it seemed like thousands to a kid. Me and some beagles had great times and many a trophy rabbit or squirrel fell to my steely iron back then but the thing I've often reflected about is the 'fort building'. Me and several other kids, some I didn't really know, decided it was time to build some forts. Because you know... you could get attacked by 'injuns' at any minute. I think the entire tool list was hatchet and nails. That was it. We cut trees in a densely packed grove of "China ball trees". None of the trees were bigger than a 12 year old's arm but we chopped and used them to make ladders that we then used to affix platforms as high as we could get. I remember swaying in the wind trying to build one high enough to see over the trees to see my home (which would have probably required a platform with an air traffic strobe on top). I'm not positive of the heights but I'm confident it was infinitely higher than I'd climb today with actual gear much less with a pair of Chuck Connors on. How we budding structural engineers, didn't kill ourselves or at least require ambulance extraction is beyond me. Our parents, like every other summer day, had zero idea what we were doing. We were just 'in the woods'.

And now I'd like to thank Mr. Matthews and Mr. Dugas (who owned the pond in his front yard he'd let all the kids fish) for letting unknown kids be kids without worrying about lawsuits or kids tearing stuff up. :yo:

Last edited:
I can't remember how many forts I made in the woods. One cold wet day we decided to make a fire to stay warm but nothing would lite. So being the smart kid I was I went and got a mason jar full of gas. I didn't burn the woods down, but I wasn't allowed in the woods for 2 months when my mom found out. I miss those day's. I think about all the things I did then and I would be scared to death if my kids were doing the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom