• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I need a little help with an old knife.

GaMudd

Default rank <2000 posts Supporter
G44L
28   0
Reaction score
Hey folks, I have an old knife that belonged to my grandfather. There is nothing special about it other than it was his. The problem is that the blade is not stainless and it will rust in a quick minute and the metal stains easily. I've hit it with steel wool and it cleans up nice, but I know that just opens up the "pores" on the surface and it just ends up looking like it does.
Is there anything I can do to make it usable?

I
20180805_092113.jpg
20180805_092132.jpg
20180805_092144.jpg

What do you want to use it for? A light oiling wouldn't hurt it but will probably get on the handle as well

Seal the handle with several coats of tung oil. Clean the blade and polish it starting with 800 grit WD paper, and go to 1000, then 1200 to 1600 grit. Finish up with some semicrome polish and a buffing wheel.

Never put it up wet, clean and dry after every use, and wipe with a lightly oiled cloth. Any stains, clean immediately with semicrome polish.

I hve that exact knife, and they hold an incredible edge, but high carbon steel will quickly rust if neglected.

I use only high carbon steel knives in the kitchen. They will turn color in an instant but like Banjojohn says, don't let one dry in a rack and don't put them in the dishwasher. Dry them and if you are storing them, coat lightly with animal fat just like cast iron pots.

Hey folks, I have an old knife that belonged to my grandfather. There is nothing special about it other than it was his. The problem is that the blade is not stainless and it will rust in a quick minute and the metal stains easily. I've hit it with steel wool and it cleans up nice, but I know that just opens up the "pores" on the surface and it just ends up looking like it does.
Is there anything I can do to make it usable?

IView attachment 1732092 View attachment 1732094 View attachment 1732095
I have a couple of those Old Hickory knives and love them in the kitchen. Both of my blades have turned an even brown, except for the edge, which I keep sharp. If I dry mine after every use/wash, the blades don't rust...sort of like a Browned finish on an old muzzleloader.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom