• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I need some Gun Smithing help for my Mossberg

PKP_902

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
202   0
Reaction score
Long story here, I wanted to put a gold bead front sight on my new to me 18.5" Mossberg 590a1. I am used to shooting sporting clays with a similar front sight. I went to MidwayUSA and purchased a Mossberg brand gold bead front sight. It did not fit, the treads were a different pitch and the shaft of the bolt wasn't long enough. While taking the old sight out I broke the bead of the bolt.

I called Mossberg and explained what had happened, they were very understanding and said they would ship me a new front sight free of charge. When the packaged arrived it contained a gold bead sight identical to the one from MidwayUSA. It also contained a white large bead front sight. The white bead had a longer shaft and what appeared to be the correct pitch for the treads, however it would not screw into place. I put the broken bead sight back on the shotgun and it screwed in no problem.

I am still out a shot gun at this point. Now I have seen the Ghost Ring sights for the guns, but I need a recommendation for a gun smith who can silver solder the front sight base on correctly. I just want to shoot my shotgun. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the pitiful pictures I couldn't get my camera to auto focus properly. From left to right: broken sight, MidwayUSA gold bead, Mossberg gold bead, and Mossberg large white.
P7150019.jpgP7150022.jpg

Brian Ott will surely fix this and won't over charge you but it is a pretty simple fix. I'd send the broken sight to Mossberg and ask for the correct replacement with a brief letter explaining what happened with the thread pitch.

No doubt OTT is a good choice but DeerCreek gunsmith is near the Cobb Civic center and might be closer for you. They do a lot of black powder work but I bet they could fix that front sight.

Back
Top Bottom