I officially hate AAC

JoKeR50

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
9   0
Reaction score
I had purchased a 9 inch AAC blackout upper for my wife's SBR. The first problem was the KA URX 3 hand guard weights 1/2 lb. I wanted to switch it out with a BCM KMR that weights much less but to my chagrin you need a KA barrel nut wrench to get the one off the AAC upper and that thing cost $120! Bryan Dobbs tried to help but he didn't have one of their special barrel nuts wrenches in so I had to buy one but found the D. Wilson wrench for $75 delivered. Once I got it in it took 2 seconds to get the nut off but now comes the second problem. The damn flash hider is impossible to get off. You need a special tool! Another $35! I looked all online and saw everyone was complaining about how hard it is to get the AAC flash hider off, I even tried soaking it overnight but the flats on the hider rounded as soon as I put torque on it! God I hate AAC!

Now where is my credit card...

Rant over (for now)...

Last edited:
Buys a factory assembled complete upper with a hand guard that uses a proprietary barrel nut not made by AAC. Blames AAC.

AAC chose the parts to use on their upper. So yea I think it is their bad decisions. But I only blame myself, then again how many people know ALL the ins and outs about a compete upper or any other complete product that they might buy. I try to do my best but there isn't anything obvious you can see on their website. I found out the hard way that there are complaints about both the flash hider and the hand guard on the interweb. both are built tough, not saying they are bad products just wish the design were better. For the flash hider how hard could it have been to make larger flats so you could torque it off? For the hand guard why not use a regular barrel nut? It is amazing how people are just mean spirited behind a keyboard.

It's going to take more than larger flats to get Rocksett loose.
Better to have trouble getting it off than a bullet strike on a muzzle device.
Don't sweat it man, We all learn things the hard way sometimes. Somehow the lessons just seem a lot harder when we think we know what we are doing and find out otherwise.

Last edited:
Don't feel bad about the flash hider not wanting to come off. I have an old 90's DPMS 7.62x39 upper that I was trying to remove the flash hider from and test out my can on it. After about 15 minutes, I gave up because it wasn't going to move. Called my friend that knows about anything and everything on AR's from that era. Couple of quick questions later and he told me I had one of the Clinton AWB specials. If you have a bayonet lug, the flash hider had to be welded during that time.

Back
Top Bottom