• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

I remember why I do not use deer processors anymore.

Which processor? I had a bad experience at one in west Georgia. I got caught in a pinch and had to use it with no experience or recommendation. Place was pretty gross. Brought a mature buck and got 35# back. I called and raised hell and the guy apologized profusely and offered to do my next deer free. Lolwut? I don't think so.
I use Dorminey's and could not say enough good things about the man or his operation. He's a year round processor (beef and hogs) so this isn't a sideline for him. Plus he makes GREAT jerky (bulk, link, summer sausage, and slim jims). Waiting for my call now. Also had link sausage done. He never weighs his but so far it's always made 'since' what I've gotten back. I get my deer to the processor pronto so I want MY deer back. Not something that's laid out in the sun for 8 hours and road two hours on the hood of someone's Lincoln.

Reading this I'm pretty sure they've been short changing me too.

Anyone know a good processor in NE Georgia? We've got a vet who butchers for free in return for hunting privileges and managing the land, but he also takes everything but the back straps and ham steaks, greedy little ****.

Last edited:
Which processor? I had a bad experience at one in west Georgia. I got caught in a pinch and had to use it with no experience or recommendation. Place was pretty gross. Brought a mature buck and got 35# back. I called and raised hell and the guy apologized profusely and offered to do my next deer free. Lolwut? I don't think so.
I use Dorminey's and could not say enough good things about the man or his operation. He's a year round processor (beef and hogs) so this isn't a sideline for him. Plus he makes GREAT jerky (bulk, link, summer sausage, and slim jims). Waiting for my call now. Also had link sausage done. He never weighs his but so far it's always made 'since' what I've gotten back. I get my deer to the processor pronto so I want MY deer back. Not something that's laid out in the sun for 8 hours and road two hours on the hood of someone's Lincoln.
Just heard a story 2 days ago that sounded the exact same about West GA. Here's another on about the same place. One of my friends took the first deer he ever killed there, he was all excited about it and invited a bunch of people over to have deer burgers. Once the broke open the meat the second pack had a cigarette butt in it. Needles to say we did a Kroger run and got some ground beef, the rest of that whole deer was thrown away. I prefer to do my own and I never have those problems. Cranes in Acworth has always done me right as far as processing goes but I'm just too cheap to pay em.

Yes. Gutted would be "field dressed weight".
A good sized mature doe should give 40-50 pounds. A decent buck could be anywhere from 55-80+ #.

Hmm... Yea I got 20lbs of sausage, backstraps and 4 ham steaks. Thing that tipped me off is I ordered up to 20 pounds of sausage and the rest as just plain ground meat, and some how I got exactly 20lbs of sausage

Back
Top Bottom