• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

I screwed up, can I fix it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to put together a 14.5” AR with a pinned or welded flashier.

I bought a barrel, but when I got it home I observed it was a pistol gas system. I had the impression it was carbine Length gas system. My bad all the way.

I’m hearing that this system will beat the charging system bad in just a little while. Is there anyway to salvage this project, reliably?

I would have made the same mistake, I didn't know they even made a 14.5" with a pistol gas length...

Yep, trying to figure out why they would make a barrel that long with a pistol length gas system.

When I was on SWAT, we had some 5.56/.223 rounds that were very quiet without a can, but they wouldn’t cycle the action. Maybe they would cycle with a pistol length gas system.

Yep, trying to figure out why they would make a barrel that long with a pistol length gas system.

When I was on SWAT, we had some 5.56/.223 rounds that were very quiet without a can, but they wouldn’t cycle the action. Maybe they would cycle with a pistol length gas system.
Yeah I fever would have thought this would have any value. Subsonic only dedicated rifle would be the only reason I can think of.
Everything I read says it will beat the hell out of an upper assembly.

I am sorry to tell you that a longer gas tube is a longer gas tube no matter what shape or configuration. The gas tube curling around the barrel is effectively lengthening the tube. Static air,bla, bla, bla. It's going to be static in both gas tubes. That negates itself. I won't imitate a mid length gas system but it will imitate a carbine length system. You can also use a adj. gas block and a heavier buffer to slow cyclic rate down. That's a best case scenario for what you have. Carbine systems are used all the time for short barrels but it won't be a mid length system. The mid length system just all out feels better. However it can be imitated as stated above. If I spent 400 bucks on the barrel you can bet your ass I would be improvising if they wouldn't exchange it out. If it was just 200 or less I would see if they would let you trade it out for the different barrel, just work with what you have or sell and get the one you want. Well I guess I would try exchanging it no matter what the cost first.http://phase5wsi.com/ar-15-m16-pistol-pigtail-gas-tube.html Carbine gas tubes are 7.5 inches long which effectively makes his system a carbine length system as far as gas tube length goes.
I stopped reading after the first sentence :lol:

Yeah I fever would have thought this would have any value. Subsonic only dedicated rifle would be the only reason I can think of.
Everything I read says it will beat the hell out of an upper assembly.

The only legit reason I think of for a barrel configured like this on a completed gun is so the manufacturer can sell it as a rifle, but the intent is for the end user to SBR it themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom