ID help

If it were mine I would have it Sand Blasted first..Then use Canola oil coat and cook in the coals, not flames inside and out. This will take several times and Fires..Best way I know to keep Cast iron from cracking it not taking it off the fire until the fire is out..Let it cool down with the coals..I have also done this when welding an inboard outboard eng. manifold..Cast iron can be a fickle metal...Here is an example of sand blasting that my Brother @sniper22 did for an old piece I restored. Good luck!
Castiron2.jpg

castiron3.jpg

If it were mine I would have it Sand Blasted first..Then use Canola oil coat and cook in the coals, not flames inside and out. This will take several times and Fires..Best way I know to keep Cast iron from cracking it not taking it off the fire until the fire is out..Let it cool down with the coals..I have also done this when welding an inboard outboard eng. manifold..Cast iron can be a fickle metal...Here is an example of sand blasting that my Brother @sniper22 did for an old piece I restored. Good luck!
View attachment 2674539
View attachment 2674540

Sandblasting was my initial thought. Kahrnut Kahrnut thought it may lessen the value and wear down whatever grain/marks there are. I’ve never restored cast iron and don’t want to ruin it. I appreciate the insight.

I used to do some blacksmithing and some repair. You can use a wire wheel on a cordless drill or air die grinder, just be careful on how fast you go. it is a lot of work to clean the rust off. I have also used a large bead/walnut shell blast cabinet. I would not use anything that is used for cars, could really damage the metal, especially if the rust has gotten into it badly. After it is really clean, then you can go through the traditional seasoning methods, if you want to eat out of it. If you just want to preserve it and not use it to eat out of, you can you can just spray it down really well with WD-40 and just let it dry, I have done that with many lawn ornaments, and it lasts a long time.

Back
Top Bottom