• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Identification (M1A1 Carbine)

The Luger appears to be a common commercial pistol from between the wars. Is it 9 mm or .30 ? Quite a nice gun, too worn for serious collectors and the left grip damage doesn't help.

Need to check if it's numbers matching.

What do you mean by this: "Need to check if it's numbers matching."?

You'll find that things like the extractor, firing pin, 3 parts of the toggle train, side plate, takedown lever all carry the last 2 digits of the serial number. Military guns have these plainly visible, commercial guns are more discretely marked. Mismatched parts can affect the value quite significantly.

You'll find that things like the extractor, firing pin, 3 parts of the toggle train, side plate, takedown lever all carry the last 2 digits of the serial number. Military guns have these plainly visible, commercial guns are more discretely marked. Mismatched parts can affect the value quite significantly.
Shouldn’t it be dated on the top of the gun somewhere?

Your M1 Carbine (not M1A1 as someone else noted) looks like it was one of the post-war Bavarian Police guns based on the fact that several prominent parts are serialized to match the receiver (not something done on American guns). The rack number on the stock also looks consistent with Bavarian guns. You don't have it in your pictures, but is the stock also serialized in the sling groove/pocket on the stock? Is the receiver marked on top, alongside the bolt with an agency name? It may or may not have that, but I'm certain it's a Bavarian police rifle. Collectable to some folks, but not exactly rare. Regardless, I'd leave it as-is versus trying to return it to some other configuration.

For more info on Bavarian Carbines see the link below:
http://www.bavarianm1carbines.com/bavaria.html

Your M1 Carbine (not M1A1 as someone else noted) looks like it was one of the post-war Bavarian Police guns based on the fact that several prominent parts are serialized to match the receiver (not something done on American guns). The rack number on the stock also looks consistent with Bavarian guns. You don't have it in your pictures, but is the stock also serialized in the sling groove/pocket on the stock? Is the receiver marked on top, alongside the bolt with an agency name? It may or may not have that, but I'm certain it's a Bavarian police rifle. Collectable to some folks, but not exactly rare. Regardless, I'd leave it as-is versus trying to return it to some other configuration.

For more info on Bavarian Carbines see the link below:
http://www.bavarianm1carbines.com/bavaria.html
Screen Shot 2022-05-20 at 2.19.12 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-20 at 2.18.50 PM.png

thanks. As you can see the serial matches in the stock groove. There's no words on top of the receiver like shown in your link.

Visible on the exterior, the locking lever, sideplate, rear slide all match the serial number.
After field stripping, I was able to find that the trigger matched. But the only other hidden markings I was able to find are hard to discern. See photos.
Screen Shot 2022-05-20 at 2.59.05 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-20 at 2.58.44 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-20 at 2.58.54 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-20 at 2.59.14 PM.png

Note: I am no longer interested in selling the luger, I am just curious to learn about it.

Thanks for the help.

Visible on the exterior, the locking lever, sideplate, rear slide all match the serial number.
After field stripping, I was able to find that the trigger matched. But the only other hidden markings I was able to find are hard to discern. See photos. View attachment 4308962View attachment 4308960View attachment 4308961View attachment 4308963

Note: I am no longer interested in selling the luger, I am just curious to learn about it.

Thanks for the help.
Nice gun, shame about the left grip damage, but that's quite common. If you ever plan on shooting it you might want to get a spare breech block, extractor and firing pin to use. Don't want to risk breaking the numbered parts.

The Luger appears to be a common commercial pistol from between the wars. Is it 9 mm or .30 ? Quite a nice gun, too worn for serious collectors and the left grip damage doesn't help.

Need to check if it's numbers matching.
I agree it could be / probably is a commercial. I've seen several "commercial" Lugers that were sold during the interwar period in .30 or "30 Luger". It's a bottle necked cartiridge. IIRC, Germany was forbidden to sell 9mm Lugers between WW1 and WW2.

Screen Shot 2022-05-20 at 4.57.54 PM.png

Lugers, like 1911s only need a standard screwdriver to start taking them apart, then every other piece that has to come off or come apart can be managed by another piece of the pistol. There are some good videos out there on disassembly and reassembly. IIRC, the mainspring is tricky either coming out, or going in, or both. I've stripped a few completely, but I did use other tools. Wish I'd kept one, even a .30.

If the base plate of the magazine is wooden, it's worth more, as it's period correct.

IMG_0972.jpg

Back
Top Bottom