• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Identifying year of our Marlin 81 DL (long rifle 22)---HELP!!!!

garliclover

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
0   0
Reaction score
My 11 year old son and I just bought a Marlin 81 DL from a guy on ODT (super dude. Thanks). Anyway.......we are trying to identify the year of the gun. There are no serial #'s that we could find (therefore pre 1968?). It is a bolt action with a tube feed. Guard around trigger appears to be not original.? Looking on You Tube there is a guy that has one that looks almost identical and he said that through research he figures it is between a 1937-1941(2). Is there anything that we could do to find out when this gun was made? The condition of the stock is very well worn (not banged up and hacked, just has a beautiful "old" patina----great character in the wood). Any help to our novice gun family would be appreciated. IMG_0860.jpgIMG_0860.jpgIMG_0863.jpgIMG_0862.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0861.jpg
    IMG_0861.jpg
    483.4 KB · Views: 20
I owned one identical, it was made in the mid 60's , mine sold through Western Auto Stores as a "Revelation" but was made by Marlin. Great rifle and very accurate. They are pretty with the chrome trigger guard and bolt.

Man, I LOVE some old Marlins. New marlins, not so much, but the older stuff is beautiful!

We have a mid 60's Marlin-Glenfield Model 60, and a 1954 Marlin Model 39A. LOVE them both! Both great shooters, but the M39A takes the cake!

Back
Top Bottom