• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Immobilizer rabbit hole

MRM

Army Icon
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
47   0
Reaction score
I bought a 02 Sequoia and it only had one valet key. No master key or fobs.
I am cheap and handy so the man thing to do is fix it myself.
Meanwhile I have looked up more immobilizer info than I really ever wanted to know.
Anyone out there familiar with J2534 and have NASTF registration ?
I have considered a direct eeprom reset. Some reset tools might work, but, I would prefer the factory fresh type.
I would call a locksmith, but, I am picky enough to know what I want, but not experienced to know what to do next.
I want to hand the tech three keys and have them put them in the ignition 1.2.3 just like the first use.
Also, I think only 4 fobs are able to be registered so I want that reset and 4 new ones loaded. (Loading is easy) the reset is what I haven't quite figured out yet.

When we bought my wife's 2000 beetle it only came with one key

Having another key made was to a be $575

I bought an extra computer for $40
Sent it to a tuner in Texas who removed the immobilizer software for $75

Popped the new computer in and now don't need the chip in the key

I had to re-key a honda with the chiped key. I hired a couple of guys who came out to the house to program the key. They claimed that they did this a hundred times a day at the auto auction.

I ended up towing it to the dealership for them to do it. They had two senior mechanics working on it all day before finally getting it to work.

Reactions: MRM
I have a good idea how it is done several different ways.
The only catch is that my specific eeprom should be removed from the board to upload the factory data.
Everything else I have worked out.
A spare CPU or eeprom to practice on would be nice.
Otherwise i could send it out for 200 bucks.
I haven't called a local locksmith yet.
I could do it the dealer way with a pass through device, but, I don't have the 375$ security membership to access the manufacturer's upload data.

The first way is manually resetting the data to factory at the chip.
Ha, I should learn how and do this part time on the side.

Back
Top Bottom