• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

In the market for a new hunting rifle... looking for suggestions

Remington 700 , in a .308....best bang for your buck! There are many versions, If you hunt hard, go with the synthetic stock. A Leupold VX II 3x9x40 with Leupold rings and base recommended also.

Remington Model 700. I would go with either a .308 or 30-06. Both give you a lot of choice in loadings. The Model 700 can be customized so many ways because of all the available after market parts. It is also a solid rifle out of the box.

If you want semi auto "tactical", get you an AR in .308. You can hunt most anything, but you have many other possible set ups as well.

Be forewarned. You can spend very little or a pile of money with either option.

Model 700's are great guns.... I have had several! Browning Abolts are also top notch. I now use a T/C Encore Prohunter SS in 300mag and I love it. Leupold VX111 4.5X14X50LR is the best scope on the market in my opinion!

Unlimited options. I assume you mean for deer? I like fast and flat in the cartrdige and I don't little rifles (talking about the physical size of the gun not the cartridge). Given that, yes a full size bolt action such as model 700 is a fine choice (there's a reason those actions rule the benchrest world), Weatherby Vanguard, A-bolt, etc...
For deer in a cartrdige, anything from .243 up will be more than sufficient and if you choose wisely you can also have some fine varminting options as well. All things being equal I choose short action over long but all things are almost never equal so that one is a very minor consideration for me. Don't skimp on the optics! "Weakest link". A $700 rifle with a $150 scope is going to shoot like a $150 scope.

I second what G'LSU said, "Don't Skimp On The Optic" or the scope mounts!

With regards to rifle, hands down you can't beat a Remington 700. As far as caliber goes, pick straws! Seriously, for deer - with proper shot placement and a well designed modern bullet, anything from .243 to 338 Win Mag works to distances beyond what the normal shooter is even rarely capable of.

Most of the time when I'm asked this question I tell folks to purchase a Remington Model 700 SPS stainless in 30-06, get themselves some light weight Talley scope mounts and purchase a Leupold VX-2 3-9x40mm scope to go on it. Get themselves 3 boxes of bullets, Federal Fusion 150 gr. - Hornady Custom Interlock 165 gr. - & Norma Oryx 165 gr. Shoot ALL of them in controlled, cold barrel groups from a bench. Go with the brand/make that groups the tightest.

Back
Top Bottom