• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Intro to Long Range Shooting Classes

400yd, 8” circle, 12 positions, 90 seconds.

Last shot 93.27seconds.

Here is a video that by many measures would be considered a success. However I would also consider plenty of it to be in a significantly compromised category.

a good conversation about the training application this. Main points were you need to find failure points to scale training appropriately and it is vital that fundamentally you are training as near if not to perfection as you can the majority of the time. Otherwise you will deteriorate your fundamental baseline.

Moving this fast for me causes me to compromise on a three fronts.

1) Confirming NPA, generally I have enough time to take a breathe, confirm/adjust npa and proceed to pressing the trigger. Here I was reliant solely on intuition and without a doubt npa could’ve been refined.

2) Trigger press, I prefer to slow way down in my pressing sequence. Consciously holding my own hand through the process. I find this helps me maintain a consistent press whether it’s a big target, small target or the last target on a stage that is about to be cleaned. They’re all the same. However this takes time and here I am rolling on cruise control with everything.

3)Follow through, I was able to see all my impacts but I was not processing where they were. I saw that I made contact and moved on. Doing this too often I feel can start to effect accuracy as you may be preemptively moving before movement no longer has effect on target.

Following this training day I made sure to go through my motions perfectly to ensure my good reps always out way my bad reps.

832 but usually only use it to true data

Honestly 5-600 yards is plenty to practice for the type of shooting we are doin/teaching

Understood, and that’s excellent. I just ask because, for some people long range is anything beyond 100 yds. Basic rifleman qual in the Marines is (was) up to 500 yds with iron sights. And I’m a DM, so we trained to 800 with fixed Leupold optics.

Back
Top Bottom