Ironwood Designs AK-47 Furniture Finishing (Pics Inside)

Dynamis

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Conquering Oneself is Strength
456   1
Reaction score
I received my walnut Ironwood Designs AK-47 furniture today for my milled MAK-90's and am about to start the finishing process. What I originally had in mind was a Watco Danish Oil but I am not a serious wood finish guru. I wanted to do one set in cherry and one set in natural. Has anyone used the Watco oils or do you have a better suggestion? I want a deep, rich reddish hue to the set with the "tigerish" grain.

Opinions? Suggestions?

Attachments

• Ironwood 4.jpg
    Ironwood 4.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 110
  • Ironwood 3.jpg
    Ironwood 3.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 95
  • Ironwood 2.jpg
    Ironwood 2.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 102
  • Ironwood 1.jpg
    Ironwood 1.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 89
I have some experience with woods finishing in Stain only advice I can give us don't over apply other than that the choice of color and of course a good quality stain is best my preference is actually Minwax believe it or not

Ironwood has good info on its site.

I went with Watco, and am pleased with the results. It is not just a stain. It soaks in and makes the wood stronger and more durable.

I would follow the instructions on the site, and I would fit everything carefully before starting the sanding/steel wool process described in the site. AKs have a good bit of variablity, and may require a good bit of filing to the stocks to get them to fit right.

Ironwood makes a good product, and Watco goes nicely on Walnut.

I went over mine with 250 grit then 400 grit last night. I then raised the grain with a wet rag.

This morning I buffed with steel wool.

After blowing it off I popped open the RIT dye and crossed my fingers.

I just rubbed the first coat of Red RIT into the buttstock. It's drying now.

View attachment 92091

Since you're using walnut they're going to be pretty dark no matter what you use, but the Watco Danish Oil is a great product. I've only used the clear Danish Oil on walnut & cherry woods and it turned out beautiful. They will darken just a little over time.

I went over mine with 250 grit then 400 grit last night. I then raised the grain with a wet rag.

This morning I buffed with steel wool.

After blowing it off I popped open the RIT dye and crossed my fingers.

I just rubbed the first coat of Red RIT into the buttstock. It's drying now.

View attachment 92091

That's going to look great when you're done with it.

Ok, looks like I am going with Watco Danish "Natural" on the hevily grained stock and a Cabernet red stain on the other with a gloss polyurethane top coat. Headed out to grab the finishing products and get started. :D

Back
Top Bottom