Ironwood Designs AK-47 Furniture Finishing (Pics Inside)

Ok, looks like I am going with Watco Danish "Natural" on the hevily grained stock and a Cabernet red stain on the other with a gloss polyurethane top coat. Headed out to grab the finishing products and get started. :D

CCW, you are on the right track but the gloss poly is hard to get perfect, brushing or spraying. Plus it's hard to touch-up. Here's how I've finished a number of wood projects I've created:
Make sure the stain is good and dry. To start, mix some of the Danish oil with the Poly in about a 2 to 1 ratio (Oil/Poly). Using a piece of clean rag, apply it liberally on the piece, let it soak in for a minute and then sand with 220 grit. The finish will lubricate the sandpaper until it soaks in. Apply more of the mix and let it soak while starting the same process on other pieces. Take a clean cloth and buff the first piece and let dry overnight (you can do this several times if the wood surface needs additional smoothing)
For the next coats, mix the Oil and Poly 50/50. Again, apply with a clean rag, let it soak in for a while and then buff it, let it dry overnight. Repeat with at least 3 coats. After the last coat, let it dry for a week or so, and then apply several coats of a good paste wax, and buff out. If you don't have a furniture wax, a good carnauba car wax will work fine.
If the finish gets dinged-up, remove the wax from that area with ammonia and apply the finish as needed. Also, apply another coat of wax once a year or so as needed.

It's a little more handwork, but will give you a nice silky finish.

hell yea... im glad you went red... blonde furniture on an AK looks like ****.

Agreed. No "soul"

THat looks great HH!

Much thanks my friend

Lets see your opening volley CCW. Can't wait to see the difference the wood type makes.

Mine is Birch Laminate. That Walnut will suck the color up a lot more than the laminate did.

Ok, first coats applied to both sets.

Attachments

• Ironwood 5.jpg
    Ironwood 5.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 77
  • Ironwood 6.jpg
    Ironwood 6.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 80
Whats really gotten me excited is this grain on the one grip.

Attachments

• 20120319_134915.jpg
    20120319_134915.jpg
    487 KB · Views: 73
  • 20120319_134930.jpg
    20120319_134930.jpg
    500.1 KB · Views: 77
  • 20120319_134947.jpg
    20120319_134947.jpg
    498.5 KB · Views: 74
Yeah, I'm totally jealous of that grip. Looks amazing. Would have been interesting to see it with an orange hue.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom