Ironwood Designs AK-47 Furniture Finishing (Pics Inside)

How many layers of top coat did you put on it? It sure looks nice and shiny. Im a tad bit jealous. ;)

It's not quite a shiny as the pictures lead you to believe but it's close. At any rate, I put about 8 total topcoats with 400 sanding after 4th and 7th coats.

Last edited:
The last coat is now dry but I am not happy with the color. It is beautiful and all but I want something different. It is much more brown than I wanted. I want RED. I also want the true beauty of the laminate to show through. I want it to look aged and worn on the edges and high points.

Yep, I'm going backwards, I'm going to age it. I don't want it to look like the rest.

Nice Job! That tint is vibrant and the poly too
Ok, about done with the second set. American Black Walnut with red tinted cabernet crimson stain and 7 final top coats of DEFT poly. I just finished the 6th of the 7 final top coats this morning. Pics of the assembled rifle to come this evening. Enjoy.

Beautiful, guys! :D

I just finished A MAK-90 with Min-Wax in "Sedona red" and finished up with Min-wax satin poly. This is the original MAK furniture; I stripped it, reshaped it and refinished It. I hollowed the thumbhole stock and thinned out the grip area. It's not as nice as ya'lls, but I thought it would be nice to show what this min-wax color looks like.

i39.tinypic.com_2cy33ie.jpg

i44.tinypic.com_1zvzlow.jpg

i42.tinypic.com_2uho3eh.jpg

Beautiful, guys! :D

I just finished A MAK-90 with Min-Wax in "Sedona red" and finished up with Min-wax satin poly. This is the original MAK furniture; I stripped it, reshaped it and refinished It. I hollowed the thumbhole stock and thinned out the grip area. It's not as nice as ya'lls, but I thought it would be nice to show what this min-wax color looks like.
lol, why not? Probably learned a lot in the process as well.

A for effort
A for ingenuity
A for function

Back
Top Bottom