• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is my crown bad?

Rbs

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
47   0
Reaction score
I just finished up my precision semi-auto a few weeks ago and after a few range trips I have realized something is wrong. Accuracy wise it will NOT hold a tight group no matter what. I figured it was me however I can drop bullet over bullet with a buddy's stock 700.

Best group I have gotten is about 2" give/take. That is with Federal Gold Medal 168 BTHP.

Bushmaster ORC, Bushmaster barrel, 16", 1/10, Free floated, squared upper, bedded barrel, torqued to 35lbs using moly grease, CMC precision trigger, VG6 precision gamma brake, Vortex HS-T 4-16x44.

After thinking I took muzzle device off and noticed this... Is it bad? I am a novice when it comes to precision shooting.

Attachments

• 20150508_151320.jpg
    20150508_151320.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 115
Can't really tell from that pic. Take a cotton ball and twirl it and see if it hangs on anything other than rifling.
Optics tight? Tried any different ammo just for giggles?
Accurizing, or more precisely trouble shooting, that over a 700 is really apples and oranges. So many variables....

try 175 grain bullets. Make sure your scope mount is tight. Also remember the ORC is a fighting rifle not a precision rifle. apples to oranges. Try shooting it without the Brake and see how it groups

Scope mount is an American Defense Recon 30mm and yes it is definitely on there good. Correct the ORC was intended for fighting however I have heard and seen proof that the ORC model can and is in fact sub MOA. This is the sole reason why I went with this and not any others... plus it was a good price.

I would not shoot it without the brake, unless you know that the gun can be shot without it, without putting too much stress on the bolt system.

My RRA manual specifically says not to shoot it without the brake.

The barrel may have been overheated by rapid fire prior to your owning it.

But all that aside, hoping for the best, try a different scope. Yours may have loose crosshairs.

Also, clean the barrel while the brake is off. I like JB Bore Paste followed, a regular bore cleaner solvent, followed by an ammonia based copper remover, followed again with a regular cleaner. It takes several hours to get it clean if it has been allowed to foul.

Last edited:
Ammo wise go heavier or lighter, but I do not think you need to start with the Gold Matal Match, just use a good quality bullet.

I do not know one way or the other, but I thought most military type 308's were geared towards the 147 -150 grain bullets.

What is acceptable realistic accuracy from an autoloading 308's anyways?

Realistically, an inch to 1-1/2" at 100 yards. Some less, some more depending on the barrel/bullet and especially the loading. Hand loading different bullet weights, different powder charges, different bullet seating depths will get you the most accuracy expected.

Back
Top Bottom