• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is the .35 Remington dead?

I feel the same way about 16 gauge shot guns & shells.

Why has this gauge died out? It used to be very popular -- splitting the difference between a 12 and a 20 gauge.
Ive heard the 16ga died thanks to the shotgun manufactures themselves. The story goes that because it was such a perfect balance between a 12 and 20 that they would only sell one gun that could do everything instead of 2. They wouldnt make many popular models in 16ga to force people into buying a 12 for certain things and a 20 for others. IDK how true it is but it makes sense.

I think technology just didn't evolve with the 16 and 28ga shells. At least not in the U.S. I've had all the different gauges except 10. In my experience the 20 out shot the 16 and the 410 out shot the 28. So I sold the 16 and 28 I had.

I feel the same way about 16 gauge shot guns & shells.

Why has this gauge died out? It used to be very popular -- splitting the difference between a 12 and a 20 gauge.

it has mostly died out because of two factors:

1. none of the clay target games provide for 16 ga. If you shoot 16 ga. you will be competing against 12 ga.

2. Improvements in 20 ga, have really eliminated the hunting demand for 16 ga. Back in the day of paper shells, fiber wads, 16 ga, guns on a 20 ga, frame provided "magnum" performance in a light field gun,

I saw 2 boxes of 35 remington in Cherokee at pawn/gun shop. They weren't cheap!

I always keep around 100 rounds of my hunting ammo just in case of a grain/powder change!

Back
Top Bottom