Is the .40cal dead? [Article]

Caliber argument aside, one thing that the wave of transition from 40 to 9 in the le community will do is drastically reduce the demand for 40 cal in the supply pipeline. Eventually the supply will dwindle to match demand, and the price of 40 cal will rise. I believe this whole thing is going to be very similar to the 41 magnum history in the long run. You can still buy 41 magnum, but it cost more per round that 357magnum or 44 magnum. So keep you 40, but expect to eventually pay even more per round than you do now. As always, YMMV
Like the 45acp ? 40's not going anywhere anytime soon. It'll be a long time before law enforcement is all done with and when that happens there will be a **** load of 40 police trade-ins being sold to the public who will be buying the F outta 40 ammo

Like the 45acp ? 40's not going anywhere anytime soon. It'll be a long time before law enforcement is all done with and when that happens there will be a **** load of 40 police trade-ins being sold to the public who will be buying the F outta 40 ammo
LE has never carried the 45acp in mass, so not sure what you mean. Most large/mid-size agencies replace their duty pistol inventory at 5 to 6 year intervals. The drift away from 40cal may happen much faster than you think.

LE has never carried the 45acp in mass, so not sure what you mean. Most large/mid-size agencies replace their duty pistol inventory at 5 to 6 year intervals. The drift away from 40cal may happen much faster than you think.
The military carried the 45 in mass, went to 9mm but the 45 remained ever popular
Some agencies, like DeKalb have already gone back to 9mm but it will take quite some time for 40 to leave law enforcement
40s not going anywhere

The military carried the 45 in mass, went to 9mm but the 45 remained ever popular
Some agencies, like DeKalb have already gone back to 9mm but it will take quite some time for 40 to leave law enforcement
40s not going anywhere
If you will read my posts you will find I never said 40 would disappear. My point has nothing to do with weapon popularity. There is a very strong incentive for agencies to follow the FBI's lead.......price point of ammo. An agency transitioning from 40 to 9 can increase it's firearms training by 30% and not spend any addition money to do it. I was around when le transitioned to 40 cal, based on the FBI's lead, and it happened very quickly across the nation. I don't know if it will happen again with 9mm, but there is historical evidence it could. What will happen, sooner or later, is the demand for the ammo will diminish, and I believe the price of the ammo will eventually rise.

If you will read my posts you will find I never said 40 would disappear. My point has nothing to do with weapon popularity. There is a very strong incentive for agencies to follow the FBI's lead.......price point of ammo. An agency transitioning from 40 to 9 can increase it's firearms training by 30% and not spend any addition money to do it. I was around when le transitioned to 40 cal, based on the FBI's lead, and it happened very quickly across the nation. I don't know if it will happen again with 9mm, but there is historical evidence it could. What will happen, sooner or later, is the demand for the ammo will diminish, and I believe the price of the ammo will eventually rise.
Exactly.

Same wound channel
Noticeability less recoil
Increased capacity
Cheaper ammo

Yeah, I dumped my .40s a while back . . . why in the world would I stay??

Better question - why would I go out and buy a new weapon in .40 when I can have the same weapon in 9 with the above benefits?

Muzzle energy of 9mm,115 grain, is 335, dropping to 280 at 50 yds
" " of .40, 155 " , is 499 " to 413 at 50 yds
" " of .45 ACP, 230g , is 356 " to 326 at 50 yds

I just hope all the bad guys have the 9mm's coming against my .40!!

Reactions: STI
I'm not. What's your point? I can't agree on something because I'm not a champion of it? Is that like, not being able to criticize Trump unless you go out and campaign for him?

The gentleman above does have a valid point.
I was joking, get over it

Back
Top Bottom