Is this just evil....

Well you are comparing a 200 dollar scope to a 2000 dollar scope. Not exactly apples to apples comparison. That said, I would take a Bushnell Elite over many 500-800 dollar scopes. They are an amazing value.
Absolutely, but in this situation I would be comparing a $200 scope to a $3200 scope.

...or a valuable learning experience?

I have a young acquaintance that makes about $10 an hour that just spent over $8000 on an, admittedly awesome, 6.5 Creedmoor rifle and glass. He also put almost half the cost on credit cards. This is a really good kid and combat vet, but damn!

I'm seriously thinking about picking up one of the Savage 10T 6.5s that Cabela's has on sale right now for $530.00, throwing a thousand dollar scope on it, taking him to CMP and out shooting him.

Is this:
A) Me being a dick?
B) Giving him some perspective so he doesn't put himself in the poorhouse?
C) Me using this as an excuse to get a 6.5 Creedmoor?
D) All of the above?

Obviously, I know the answer, but I'd be interested to know what you folks think.
It's exactly the type of thing I would do and I don't consider it being a Richard. But I realize that is purely subjective. ;)
The great thing about stuff like that is I would do it to someone I like as well as someone I didn't. Granted, Id' probably enjoy the outcome when it was someone I didn't like better.
And yeah.... it won't take glass with a comma in the price.

Gen 2 razors are 2500. The better comparison would be to a NF ATACR f1. Which is 3k. You also assume he is bench shooting, which if we are talking about the same person. He isnt. FFP is very helpful shooting PRS matches. The NF NXS are all SFP.

As for the rifle. I doubt a $600 rifle is .5 moa at range, all the time. .5 at 100 isn't the same as .5 at 600.

I have to admit that part of my motivation for this thread is the belief we are seeing a strong "Reebok Affect" in the firearms industry. A rifle is a tool. Sure, it can be fun to pretty them up a little, but damn, it's getting out of hand.

Can anyone explain the real difference between a $600 rifle that shoots 0.5MOA and a $4000 rifle that shoots 0.5MOA, or between a $1600 Nightforce NXS and a $3200 Vortex Razor?

Other than price, you smartasses.

I could explain how my $$$$ Cooper and $$$$ Swarovski are better than your Savage and Bushnell....but you wouldnt get it so I wont waste either of our time.

I could explain how my $$$$ Cooper and $$$$ Swarovski are better than your Savage and Bushnell....but you wouldnt get it so I wont waste either of our time.
I wasn't the one talking about a Bushnell. As for the rifle comparison, for me in a tactical rifle, 95% of it is accuracy and the difference between a 0.5 MOA and 0.25 MOA rifle in practical application is virtually nothing at 1000 yards and in unless you are competing in benchrest competitions. So, what was that difference?

Not very good. I have 20 of the Berger load and about 10 of the Barnes.
You need to get me your brass so I can load it for you. You also need to get a set of dies. Mine went with the shop.

Oh, CRAP! Do you have your load data? I just checked and your file is gone. I probably have a hard copy someplace, but....

Back
Top Bottom