Is this normal?

TLB2

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
115   0
Reaction score
This is what the brass looks like on my AR.

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 56
Seen something similar out of a "custom" .308 bolt gun once- the gunsmith did a terrible job finish reaming the chamber. The brass more or less conforms to the inside chamber surface when fired.

I can't tell you exactly what is happening, but my brass was always still relatively shiny and smooth after it ejected. What get's me is that the lines seem to run horizontally around the shell (from what I can see) instead of vertically along the shell, as if it were dragging. Not really sure though. What type of ammo is that and what is your barrel rated for? Factory loaded or re-loads? Grain weight, etc.

Who does your nails? lol. jk.

Seen something similar out of a "custom" .308 bolt gun once- the gunsmith did a terrible job finish reaming the chamber. The brass more or less conforms to the inside chamber surface when fired.

Just trying to educate myself, but are you saying that due to bad reaming, that when fired, the shell expanded, causing it to take on the rough finish within the chamber?

Its Win 556 45 gr frangible in a 1/9 556 ar barrel. The first shot stuck in the chamber and ripped the shoulder off the brass. I used a cleaning rod to remove it. Tore the gun down and cleaned it. Put it back together and shot the others fine.

It looks like a rough chamber to me. Polish it up and it will smooth out the more you fire it. I had a few ar's like that when brand new.

i dont know if this is the best idea but it does work. Put a 556 chamber brush on a rod and put it in a drill. Put the drill in slow gear and work it around careful to keep the brush straigh. works like a charm

Back
Top Bottom