Is this normal?

Definately a poorly reamed chamber. Brownells or Midway carry a hone that can be used for this purpose. Based on the markings on your brass I do not think a bore brush will touch it. Might find an ODT'r who has a reamer and is willing to make a pass for ya. I know they have been cranking those things out as fast as they can so the quality control goes downhill but it is fixable.

Just trying to educate myself, but are you saying that due to bad reaming, that when fired, the shell expanded, causing it to take on the rough finish within the chamber?

Yep- that was what I was implying. Dad had a problem with one of his .308s that was rebarreled with a short chambered Hart barrel. Turns out the gun smith didn't have a constant flow of coolant to flush the chips when he finished the chamber- at least that was the opinion of the guy that fixed it. He cut the chamber a few thousandths deeper and cut off a little of the barrel thread to fix the headspace (well, actually those cuts were in exactly the opposite order).

ETA: I think I see the question that was coming- yes, if the brass fully conformed to the inside of the chamber, then the marks would be 'rubbed out' when the brass was extracted... I'm no expert, but I can say that brass that looks like that was fired in a rough walled chamber.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom