• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Isn’t this what lawyers do?

yup, gaming the system so to speak

i personally think that if you run for office and win that your personal financial affairs and job be put into a state of purgatory until you finish your term as not to prejudice efforts on behalf of the constituents wishes

i personally think that if you run for office and win that your personal financial affairs and job be put into a state of purgatory until you finish your term

That may sound right but...

...then we would have to raise their pay and in doing so, create another issue.

The problem is “we” elect people with no experience and often little or no integrity who do it for the power or as a career which is not what our founders intended. How many people in Washington today are failed business people or never had a career outside of politics? Answer: Too many!

Our founders were leaders and/or standouts in their professions before being chosen by the people to lead. George Washington was a distiller, for instance, famous for his brandy, among other things. It wasn’t about who had the biggest campaign fund to buy advertising. Look no further than the inexperienced fool NY elected to the house (AOC) for an example.

As for the Ralston story, it may be true but then again, you cannot trust the media today. They all too often have an agenda and do not take seriously the purpose and spirit of the first amendment.

We need a reset back to the basics across the board.

...then you’ll have to raise their pay and in doing so, create a bigger problem.

The problem is “we” elect people with no integrity who do it for the power or as a career which is not what our founders intended.
why raise pay? or pay at all?

99% of the folks who go into office are already financially secure from previous jobs (or kickbacks they have gotten with their extended time in the political arena)

i am of the opinion that public service is just that, a service. i look at it like volunteer work or at least it should be

simply put, if you feel the call to political office it should be to serve this country and give back to it. typically this would mean only people who have been otherwise successful in private life and now feel like they can go and be a representative. politics shouldnt be a job IMO. yes i realize im discussing a pipe dream here but i feel like the obvious conflict of interest arrises as both as decision maker and someone who could benefit from the decisions (why congress is allowed to hold and trade stocks and its not insider trading is beyond me)

mind you i really only mean large political offices for the most part but it would really gut check the bull**** in politics now

i dont like career politicians. i think forcing representatives to shelve their financials during their term is not a bad idea. i also think coupling that with strict term limits would be a great thing to.

why raise pay? or pay at all?

99% of the folks who go into office are already financially secure from previous jobs (or kickbacks they have gotten with their extended time in the political arena)

i am of the opinion that public service is just that, a service. i look at it like volunteer work or at least it should be

simply put, if you feel the call to political office it should be to serve this country and give back to it. typically this would mean only people who have been otherwise successful in private life and now feel like they can go and be a representative. politics shouldnt be a job IMO. yes i realize im discussing a pipe dream here but i feel like the obvious conflict of interest arrises as both as decision maker and someone who could benefit from the decisions (why congress is allowed to hold and trade stocks and its not insider trading is beyond me)

mind you i really only mean large political offices for the most part but it would really gut check the bull**** in politics now

i dont like career politicians. i think forcing representatives to shelve their financials during their term is not a bad idea. i also think coupling that with strict term limits would be a great thing to.

I served in office. I was not, nor am I wealthy. I got there thorough hard work and integrity. When my term was up, I returned to my practice.

Sorry, but paying nothing or paying more isn’t the answer.

Ask me how I know.

I served in office. I was not, nor am I wealthy. I got there thorough hard work and integrity. When my term was up, I returned to my practice.

Sorry, but paying nothing or paying more isn’t the answer.

Ask me how I know.

because paying politicians has worked out so well in the past lol

remove money from politics IMO and install strict term limits. best way to remove the long run partisan ****bags in both the democrat and republican camps (mind you i am referring mostly to federal elected positions and large state offices; im not speaking to po dunk town councils or the myriad of judges who get elected; although i think they are all overpaid)

if you didnt get paid to be in office would you have done it? what was your motivation to begin with?

While legal it is disgusting that he can abuse the system.

In case after case reviewed by the newspaper and Channel 2, Ralston utilized the provision repeatedly. One man’s DUI case has been pending for more than a decade, delayed at least 17 times by Ralston. A man charged with enticing a child for indecent purposes has been awaiting trial since 2009, with Ralston filing for 14 delays.

It’s been more than five years since a 14-year-old girl told police that a traveling evangelist who preached at her church and stayed over in her Hiawassee home raped and molested her. Ralston has put off that case in Towns County Superior Court at least eight times citing legislative duties and sessions.

because paying politicians has worked out so well in the past lol

remove money from politics IMO and install strict term limits. best way to remove the long run partisan ****bags in both the democrat and republican camps (mind you i am referring mostly to federal elected positions and large state offices; im not speaking to po dunk town councils or the myriad of judges who get elected; although i think they are all overpaid)

if you didnt get paid to be in office would you have done it? what was your motivation to begin with?

I ran because many leaders in my community asked me to consider it and after praying through it, I truly felt called to run. I won by 47 votes in a runoff.

I didn’t even know what the position paid when I signed up to run, so the pay was not a motivating factor, however, it was necessary to help offset the lost time at work and the added expenses associated with serving. I used up one and half vehicles in four years just driving around my district.

Prior to serving in an elected capacity, I served as a volunteer for 10-15 years on various boards, committees and organizations. No pay there, but I was accountable only to myself with regard to time and expenses. I also served four years in an appointed position making about $600 a year. That covered gas to the meetings, maybe.

If you pay too much, it becomes a job for the lazy. Too little and you likely exclude working class people who arguably may know best what the citizens really think and want . This is why you see a lot of retired people serving as elected officials versus young people.

I tried my best to do it the way our founders intended and if called again, I would step up without hesitation.

For me, it was all about service.

Back
Top Bottom