• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Issue with my late 1980's Colt M4 Sporter .223

DMas

Default rank <5 posts
New to The Trader!
0   0
Reaction score
Posted this in the other forum, seems like it fits better here.

Recently my dad handed down to me a late 1980's Colt M4 Sporter Match HBAR .223.
View attachment 266986View attachment 266987

I am running into some feeding issues. Sometimes the bullet will not chamber correctly into the barrel and the tip of the round will hit slightly below the barrel (See below)
View attachment 266988

It will cause the bolt carrier/bolt to dent the round like this.

View attachment 266989

At first it was happening when it was close to the end of the mag, I was using some ASC stainless steel mags, and the guys at my local range suggested poly mags, so I got a poly mag and I am still having the same issues, and not just when it is close to the end of the mag. I read up on poly mags and it seems that the consensus is online that the Magpul poly mags are the best so I recently purchased a few of the gen 3 ones online. I haven't received them yet so hopefully I made a good choice.

View attachment 266990View attachment 266991View attachment 266992View attachment 266993

Any ideas/tips would be appreciated!

-D

Clean the chamber really good with a chamber brush, try a variety of ammo, check the gas rings on the bolt-staggered, if you still have issues check for a blockage of the gas tube.

To me it sounds like a magazine feeding issue or a tilted follower. Either way it sounds like the round is nosing down while being stripped off. I've never been a fan of Ramline mags and I have no experience with the brand of steel mags you have. If the rifle is still mis behaving after using Pmags, it's another issue.

However, I suspect that mags are to blame.....although RamRod's advice is still solid.

Thanks for the advice, when I get the Magpul's and try them out I'll report back, also I'll give the feeding ramps another clean but I think its just discoloration doesn't appear to be debris on them. I have been 2 different types of ammo, was using some older UMC ammo, and also some newer Remington UMC bulk packs.

UMC 20 Round Box.jpg

UMC Bulk Pack.jpg

That damage is usually indicative of short stroking. However, those mags are crap. Let us know how it goes with the Pmags and we can go from there.

Back
Top Bottom