• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

It’s that time of the year..... again.

yeah its real funny watch folks with a drive on boat trailer get out in the water pulling rope get boat on the trailer
Moved up from my perfectly adequate alum. fishing boat to a heavy FG "real" boat on high dollar trailer with roller bunks. First time I tried loading the boat on those bunks, I nearly parked it in the back of my trucks. You didn't dare unhook the winch cable away from the water because if you slowed down at all backing it in, the boat was coming off the trailer at a high rate of speed.

I don't recall ever loading a boat on the trailer, but I was backing the boat down the ramp and then backing the empty trailer down the ramp to pull the boat back out of the water when I was 8-9 years old. Never had that much trouble backing a trailer. But, I was fortunate enough to both grow up in the country and have plenty of acreage to roam and a daddy that was always buying/trading/selling/swapping/giving away jeeps and other such vehicles.

Done that too.

My buddy did this when we were going night fishing. He was in boat when I backed him in...after a few minutes he yells at me “be right back” and he guns the motor and the boat goes across the water with the bow almost vertical!... and slowly the bow dropped down on plane.

When he gets back to loading ramp he sheepishly admits he forgot plug...but after running around on plane he got it in after the water ran out the drain hole.

It was hilarious at the time watching that boat stand up....thought the stern was gonna go under before he got it on plane.

yeah its real funny watch folks with a drive on boat trailer get out in the water pulling rope get boat on the trailer
When you get older you will realize this is the smartest way to load and unload a boat by yourself. With bad knees you can't jump off the front of the boat without face planting.

My buddy did this when we were going night fishing. He was in boat when I backed him in...after a few minutes he yells at me “be right back” and he guns the yards and slowly the bow dropped down on plane.

When he gets back to loading ramp he sheepishly admits he forgot plug...but running around on plane he got it in after water ran out the drain hole.

It was hilarious at the time watching that boat stand up....thought the stern was gonna go under before he got it on plane.

I did this one time long ago with my bass boat. never forgot again

Back
Top Bottom