• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Item Gone: What is the best CALIBRE FOR IN HOME DEFENSE??

Status
Not open for further replies.

chester

Default rank <3500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
74   0
Reaction score
Item Name: Item Gone: What is the best CALIBRE FOR IN HOME DEFENSE??

Item is for: Sale/Trade NOT SPECIFIED

Willing to Ship: No

Bill of Sale Required?: No

Item Description: WHAT IS THE BEST IN-HOME CALIBRE FOR DEFENSE???
THEN PISTOL,,,AR PISTOL SHOTGUN???
THANX

THANX IN AADVANCE

DISCLAIMER: Always comply with local, state, federal, and international law. The Outdoors Trader does not become involved in transactions between parties. Review our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use for more information.
There are going to be more answers here than Carter's got little pills. One thing I'd remind you of is that you are more than likely going to be firing a round in an enclosed area, possibly in low light, with no hearing protection and no eye protection. If you have never done so, I recommend you try it. It's not like the movies.

That hand cannon at the range is a much different beast in those circumstances.

There are going to be more answers here than Carter's got little pills. One thing I'd remind you of is that you are more than likely going to be firing a round in an enclosed area, possibly in low light, with no hearing protection and no eye protection. If you have never done so, I recommend you try it. It's not like the movies.

+1

I would hate to try shooting one of those short barrel 5.56 inside a room, most have obnoxious brakes so say goodby to your hearing if you go that route.

Everyone is different. You need to stage electronic ears with whatever you're using though. May need to stage night vision and a helmet if going outside is in the mix. Mine is whichever ar pistol I lay my hands on if I have to get up, fnx in 45 super if I don't (using very very light for caliber solid copper rounds driven very very fast it doesn't recoil nearly as much as a stout 9mm but it will deafen the snot out of everyone at 0300). Make sure you have a very bright light to hand. I have a rechargeable led spotlight by the bedside and a light on the stuff I would task with home defense.

I switched from a shotgun to an ar some time back when I realized how much more stuff I can tear up on command with one. Easier to control, much faster follow up shots, can carry ten times the ammunition at the same weight, etc.

Of course - it's just me, Mrs. Geno and the doggo these days inside of a brick house with no neighbors close at hand. If she'll stay put, I can tear up a lot of stuff and not have to worry too much about collateral damage.

The one thing that really helps is good cameras everywhere. With the right coverage, you almost always know what you're facing.

Hear ye, hear ye. Truth spoken here. Thanks.

Comment on weapons with lights attached or light held in hand. I have heard the stories that the light will help you decide whether to fire or not to fire or that it will temporarily "blind" the intruder. At the same time, it will tell the intruder exactly where you are and the specific area where they can direct their fire. Right or wrong ? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom