• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Item Relisted! FS/FT Smith & Wesson 10-7 snub nose .38 - $350

'B' or 'N' stamp:
ahead of pre war serial # on the barrel flat (or in shroud), rear face of yoke and by itself on right side grip frame on commercial guns (only on left side grip frame post war) for an original Blue finish or for an original Nickel finish with that letter. The lack of either the 'B' or 'N' can indicate that it left the factory nickeled. Also there was a larger B behind the barrel serial # for the Bright blue optional finish in the post war era - early ‘50s when satin blue was standard.
“I've seen nickel Triple Locks with N stamps. I've seen them without it, too. Pre-war guns MAY have an N, or they may simply lack B's. The post war and the 1950s period, was one of much evolution. There was the usual transition when finish code letter stamps were dropped and frame code letter s/n prefixes began, when there were neither letter stamps on major parts (except the butt)."

No "N" stamp on either the cylinder or frame. Under the grips the frame is stamped with a "P" in a triangle and a "B" inside a circle. Would that mean this was once a blued gun?
The B doesn't denote it was a blued gun...those are most likely assembly marks.

The lack of an N stamp tells me it was a Blued finish originally. So it has definitely been refinished in something aftermarket.

Still a great piece and I'm sure a great shooter!

BLIP BLIP thanks for the information. This gun was made in 1977 and doesn't have either a B or N in front of the serial number. It is just a B inside a circle on the side of the frame (under the grip). So would that B stamp indicate that it was once a blued gun? And what does the P inside a triangle mean?

Leatherhead Leatherhead thanks for the clarification. You should teach a class on Smith revolver history!
Haha...no problem. I enjoy helping others when I can. I'm still learning more and more about S&W everyday....one person cannot know everything there is to know about S&W.

:yo:

Back
Top Bottom