• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Item Relisted! Item Gone: FT Mauser 98 Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

vwthing1

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
Reaction score
Got this from my father in law when he went into assisted living last month. I know nothing about the gun other it was a bring back from Germany. Family member is said to have brought it back when he came home. True or not I do not know, but it has been in the family for at least 50 years.

Looking for more info. A web search has left me more confused than before I started. It is a numbers matching all around and cycles really smoothly. The bore is clean and other than wear and tear on the stock it seems in decent shape.

Attachments

• IMG_20220406_182507.jpg
    IMG_20220406_182507.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 398
  • IMG_20220406_182435.jpg
    IMG_20220406_182435.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 402
  • IMG_20220406_182405.jpg
    IMG_20220406_182405.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 398
One of the things GIs did to bring K98s back after the war was separate the action from the stock and cut the stock at the front metal band so it would fit in their duffel bags. Hence the name "duffel cut". They would then screw or glue the stock back together and the cut would be covered by by the front metal band. If you remove the band by pressing the spring stop in front of it and sliding forward, you will see if it has the duffel cut or not. If it has one that would be pretty good evidence it was a GI bring back from the war. Not as good as documentation but it would help tell its story.

Also the Germans were fanatics about serializing parts on their weapons. You should examine the receiver, magazine floor plate, stock, butt plate, bolt bayonet lug and other parts to see if they all have matching serial numbers. This and of it has no import marking would be a good indicators that or may be a GI bring back and not a later sale of a gun put together with surplus parts.

Thanks for all the great info and interest. I have read the PMs and found a potential buyer. At this time it is SPM on Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom