• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

IVORY Near Impossible to Get

I thought trading in ivory was illegal these days?
Pre-ban ivory is legal. Some of the states decided that preventing sellers from dealing with PRE-BAN ivory across state lines would help reduce poaching in Africa. Some of the same people wanted to put restrictions on fossilized mammoth ivory. You know, to protect the mammoths.

Pre-ban ivory is legal. Some of the states decided that preventing sellers from dealing with PRE-BAN ivory across state lines would help reduce poaching in Africa. Some of the same people wanted to put restrictions on fossilized mammoth ivory. You know, to protect the mammoths.
I have a small tusk my Grandfather got in South Africa in 1916, I inherited it in 1972. I have no proof of providence so I can’t sell it or done anything with it. Can’t sell unless you can prove it was imported before the ESA.

Here is an ivory I made from scrap purchased at Blade Show a few years ago. The cream color and grain contrasts nicely with the polished black horn. I'm not happy with how the horn scales turned out though so I eventually want to make another set.
IMG_20180619_114710563.jpg

it's not hog leg
If I could find a big enough hog tusk, that is actually something I would like to try working with. Since there partially hollow I would have to find a larger one.

Some brilliant sumbitches there. I had a pewter cheese dish listed on ebay once, Just Andersen maker, had an ivory knop finial on the lid. Some douchebag reported it and the auction was pulled, I get a warning. The *******ed thing was made in 1918, ****ALL~!

Beautiful grips Leatherhead! I may try to find some nice faux ivory for my model 19. It is a beautiful revolver so it should probably be dressed up.

Palmetto, I've heard of people having listings pulled because items just looked like ivory.

Here are two razors since Leatherhead was nice enough to show off those nice grips.

LH Joseph Rodgers with nice plastic scales (thanks Biker)
RH Wilkinson Razor with ivory scales. It was listed online as having bakelite scales so I took a gamble.

IMG_20180621_224845258.jpg

Sheffield England used to be one of the Cutlery capitals of the world like Solingen. Now? Nothing. I don't think a single cutlery company is operating there. Of course knives are a big no-no in England now anyway.

Back
Top Bottom