• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

JC Higgins Model 29

sinac84

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
187   0
Reaction score
My father has handed down an all original JC Higgins Model 29 22lr semiauto rifle to me a while back. It has the old tube feed magazine. I just ordered a new magazine spring because it sometimes wants to double feed. Most of the time it functions perfect however, an occussional double feed will happen. I'm hoping the magazine sping will cure that. Anything else I could get that would help with the double feeds? Maybe better ammo?

He actually has the original box and everything that came with the rifle when he bought it out of a Sear's catalog in the 50's. I've shot it once and it functions fine (except the above mentioned). No rust and the wood stock is like new. I plan to mount a scope to it and make it a plinker.

Thanks for the help!

Can you get close ups of the action with/without ammo?

The first thing I would do is clean the heck out of the feeding system and chamber area. You will typically need to field strip it first.

.22 LR is a filthy little beast, but I love it! They gunk up most guns with time and ammo.

Actually it has been running fine. I still want to mount a scope to it but just haven't gotten around to it yet. Finding rings for it ain't easy. The tip off rings are not a standard size.

There is only one type of modern rings that you will find work well with these old Higgy's. The Leupold Rifleman rings for .22 rimfire works great. I think the item number is 56533 (low profile) and 57323 (high profile) and you can find them on eBay or anywhere for about $10. The trick is to tighten the bottom bolt enough to get the rings to hold the groove, then worry about the top bolt. You'll find that you will be happy with these rings on the Higgy rifle. Good Luck!

IMG_20130825_160239_479.jpg
Here's one of my JC Higgins Model 30 with 50mm sniper scope! Lots of fun... and Deadly! LOL!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OLD-STO...349580?pt=Vintage_Hunting&hash=item35d6395a4c

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom