• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New Model Colt King Cobra, notes, thoughts, options

Sharps40

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
4   0
Reaction score
A lifetime experiences taught me that I pretty much love short barreled handguns. Especially in 357 Magnum. GP100, SP101, Smith 66, RIA 38 Special, Colt Detective Magnum (might be a different name but it was cool and now collectible, sadly we traded it for a frackin stump-club stocked Marlin 4570 that we traded for.....) Numerous bobbed SAA, and most recently a nifty new production Rossi RP63. All are long gone now except the Rossi!

So, 60+ years old now and the rifle bucket list battery consists of 2 keepers. Merkel K3 30-06 and Custom Shortened Winchester 94 30-30 that Dad just shot a deer with,.....,,,,,so, it's a keeper now!

Shotgun bucket list battery is still in the air, but I think the engraved Stevens 28 needs to be changed to a sxs 28....

Given that I'm bucket listing, and since Buds had Blems cheep (Oh my Gosh, a price so fine that I can say, its the same or slightly less new in box than most every other used non colt handguns initial asking price in BST!!!! :) ) and since I carry them and use them all.......

Colt King Cobra is on the way! Yippie!

Just threw a bid on a NOS set of pachmeyer d frame compact grip. With gold Colt logo, of course. We'll see what it takes to get a good fit. Love the silhouette though.... Here an i-net sneak peek comparison over Hogue vice NOS pachmeyer....

Pac's are usually fuller and no finger grooves and better looking texture. Fingers will wrap higher into the guard space too. Length may be about the same.

Google photos of the two grips here.

1.jpg
2.jpeg

Went ahead and ordered the Colt issue red fiber-optic front sight. Can't tell the difference from the Marbles version but its the Colt issue, lower cost then the marbles and an additional 10% off at brownells...just awaiting results on the NOS Colt badged Pachmayr compact and shipping/arrival of the gun from Buds.

Itll be a while, Brownells sits on orders for the longest time after creating the USPS ticket........

Let's see

Brass bead is actually visible.

Front Sight width is about right for the rear slot.

Trigger is buttered roller bearing to the wall and breaks over clean.

Return is positive and fast.

Single action is perfectly amazing.

Hogue grips suck big green donkeys. It's like holding 2 broomsticks stacked on top of one another.

One tiny rub mark near the SN got this one blem status and the attendant nice discount.

There is no work to be done in here. Already well polished and finished as received. Very impressive.

Side plate fit to frame is amazing. No pry bar needed for removal, no smashwacker needed for reassembly. Just a thumbs push fit on and a flip of the index finger off, snaps in and out.

Reassembly is a bit fiddly, holding the cylinder release against the z-spring and a daub of RIG +P between the transfer bar and hand to keep them in place. Took a time or two to get it right.

Unlike many of the Ruger single actions, the transfer bar does not bind between hammer and firing pin, so no fitting needed there either.

As received, SA pull is 4lbs, DA is under 9 lbs, both in line with my preference for all revolvers. Cleaned and dry lubed and a touch of RIG +P at pivots and sear, SA is 3 lbs 8 oz with DA remaining Under 9 lbs.

If you're one of the folks that's "terrified"of MIM parts, this may not be the gun for you.....but, you'd cheat yourself of a lifetime of reliable service with one of America's premier product lines.

5.jpg

For the nonce, one homemade Smith K/l frame cross draw cut and modified to hold both the RP63 and the King Cobra.

And both fit the LCR door holsters.

6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg

A lifetime experiences taught me that I pretty much love short barreled handguns. Especially in 357 Magnum. GP100, SP101, Smith 66, RIA 38 Special, Colt Detective Magnum (might be a different name but it was cool and now collectible, sadly we traded it for a frackin stump-club stocked Marlin 4570 that we traded for.....) Numerous bobbed SAA, and most recently a nifty new production Rossi RP63. All are long gone now except the Rossi!

So, 60+ years old now and the rifle bucket list battery consists of 2 keepers. Merkel K3 30-06 and Custom Shortened Winchester 94 30-30 that Dad just shot a deer with,.....,,,,,so, it's a keeper now!

Shotgun bucket list battery is still in the air, but I think the engraved Stevens 28 needs to be changed to a sxs 28....

Given that I'm bucket listing, and since Buds had Blems cheep (Oh my Gosh, a price so fine that I can say, its the same or slightly less new in box than most every other used non colt handguns initial asking price in BST!!!! :) ) and since I carry them and use them all.......

Colt King Cobra is on the way! Yippie!
Dontcha love getting firearms shipped to your closest FFL. Makes getting new firearms so convenient.

And cheaper than ODT prices.;)

Back
Top Bottom