• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Joint Combat Pistol program, are we the real winners?

curious what you mean by shooting sports? like gun organizations or competitions? I don't follow a ton of stuff, but I've watched a few of the 3 Gun Nation events on TV and they have a lot of exposure/advertising there. I think they are up and coming, but also focusing a lot of time on the military as they have a lot of mil contracts. I bought an FN SLP shotgun a while ago after reading reviews and am very impressed with it. enough that when they came out with the FNP 45 Tactical I picked one of them up (in black, no FDE for me) and have been impressed with it as well (once I figured out it liked shorter OAL ammo) and have been enjoying getting used to a 45 ACP pistol. Now to move from my 556 to a 308 MWS in the future and i'll be set on my "bigger is better" conversion. ;)

Most major manufacturers support a team or specifically market a gun designed for competition. The Glock 34 & 35 specifically come to mind, as well as the new XD 5.25. FN has steadfastly declined to do such. Even HK has a sponsored shooting team in USPSA that shoots the P-30.

FN has focused on military and law enforcement exclusively, neither receiving nor wanting to receive any feedback from professional and/or amateur sport shooters. That was the point I was trying to make. I'm not knocking the quality of their firearms, but I think they could receive a lot of valuable feedback and exposure by taking a more proactive role in the sport shooting sector.

I am thinking of USPSA, IPSC, and IDPA for the most part, as well as the various three gun organizations.

Most major manufacturers support a team or specifically market a gun designed for competition. The Glock 34 & 35 specifically come to mind, as well as the new XD 5.25. FN has steadfastly declined to do such. Even HK has a sponsored shooting team in USPSA that shoots the P-30.

FN has focused on military and law enforcement exclusively, neither receiving nor wanting to receive any feedback from professional and/or amateur sport shooters. That was the point I was trying to make. I'm not knocking the quality of their firearms, but I think they could receive a lot of valuable feedback and exposure by taking a more proactive role in the sport shooting sector.

I am thinking of USPSA, IPSC, and IDPA for the most part, as well as the various three gun organizations.

More than 70% of FN's business is worldwide military, government agency, and LE sales. They also spend a good bit of time trying to run their other "more civilian" related companies like Browning.

Keep in mind, FN hasn't gotten the foothold here that Glock, S&W, and SA have. They also have a bit of a "European mindset" when it comes to civilian ownership. Not knocking them or their company, but it's the truth.

They make a phenomenal product, though. You won't find CHF barrels on most of the other guns out there.

Check out my previous post.

[Broken External Image]:

FN has a BIG 3 gun team in addition to some competitive bolt gun long range guys with their SPRs. They market the SLP Mark 1 as a 3-gun shotgun and have an FNP45 as a "competition" model. Once their striker fired pistol actually hits the market they will have something to contend with.

FN also makes the FNP45 Comp with hi-vis sights and the same MRS mount as the Tac, marketed specifically for pistol competition. The FNP Tactical is an iffy gun for USPSA though because they dont really fit into a good division out of the box. They have a 5.3" barrel, so divisions that call for 5" and under are out. Overall height with magazine inserted is taller than the Production division sizing box (6.3", box is 6" tall). That factory mags are just a tad under 140mm, or just a tad over if you measure from the very bottom of the bubble base plate. This means youre basically in Open division, using a factory pistol against race guns, fun fun :)

This is just based off my research from being curious in the past, if anyone that shoots USPSA wants to chime in please do because I would love to hear from an experienced person whether the FNP Comp or Tac would be allowed in Limited division (without a red dot obviously).

According to the advertisement at Bud's Guns;
For Heavy Metal Shooters in Outlaw 3-gun (aka all non-USPSA 3 gun) you need a .45 ACP pistol, and the FNP45 Competition can definitely fill that niche, additionally, if you are a Limited-10 or CDP shooter in USPSA or IDPA, this could definitely be a gun for you. The FNP-45 Competition will have a tuned trigger from the factory, and cavernous magwell for fast reloads.

I don't really consider taking a failed sales attempt for a military contract, stick a hi viz sight and lightening the trigger a solid attempt to enter the sport shooting market. Go out and look at prices on Glocks and XD's. Then look at acccesories for Glocks and XD's. Magazines, holsters, mag carriers, tune-up kits. etc. Why in the world would anyone want to go out an drop $8-900 on a pistol, then not be able to find readily available holsters or mag carriers, have to pay in excess of $50 each for magazines, because anyone that shoots USPSA or IDPA learns really quick that two mags won't cut it, theee in the bare minimum, seven or eight is better. How is that catereing to civilian sport shooters? It's not.

I've handled a few of their pistols, I've found them interesting, ergonomic, and apparently well made. On some of their lower end models, the price was attractive, until I started to mentally add up the cost of making this a good IDPA or USPSA gun.

Wheeler

FN has a BIG 3 gun team in addition to some competitive bolt gun long range guys with their SPRs. They market the SLP Mark 1 as a 3-gun shotgun and have an FNP45 as a "competition" model. Once their striker fired pistol actually hits the market they will have something to contend with.

I stand corrected.

Thanks for the info and update.

According to the advertisement at Bud's Guns;

I don't really consider taking a failed sales attempt for a military contract, stick a hi viz sight and lightening the trigger a solid attempt to enter the sport shooting market. Go out and look at prices on Glocks and XD's. Then look at acccesories for Glocks and XD's. Magazines, holsters, mag carriers, tune-up kits. etc. Why in the world would anyone want to go out an drop $8-900 on a pistol, then not be able to find readily available holsters or mag carriers, have to pay in excess of $50 each for magazines, because anyone that shoots USPSA or IDPA learns really quick that two mags won't cut it, theee in the bare minimum, seven or eight is better. How is that catereing to civilian sport shooters? It's not.

I've handled a few of their pistols, I've found them interesting, ergonomic, and apparently well made. On some of their lower end models, the price was attractive, until I started to mentally add up the cost of making this a good IDPA or USPSA gun.

Wheeler

I agree, it is not an awesome offering seeing as how it is limited to Limited-10 (it won't work in CDP, it is too tall according to my measurements to fit in the sizing box). Limited division is iffy too because the mag height, the stock mags with the bubble bases are probably too tall and you would have to buy new base plates to get it under 140mm. Thats again just based on my measurements. Still, it is an offering. Really I think it was designed specifically for 3-gun since that is where FN is pushing into the competitive shooting market like NC posted.

Also, I wouldnt really call it a failure at the military contract, the reason for this entire thread is to show that there were no losers, only winners (us :) ). The fact that a JCP design pistol is being marketed towards competition shooting affirms that.

Back
Top Bottom