• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

JP Enterprises Trigger - All I can say is WOW!

SteelRinger

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
50   0
Reaction score
So, I put my 5.56 AR together on Wednesday. I was less than impressed with the stock trigger that came with the PSA LPK. I had a JP trigger with the speed hammer sitting on my bench waiting for my group buy lower from another forum that I will be putting my 6.8 Bison upper on. Since the lower will not be here for another week, I figured I would install the JP trigger into the 5.56 lower to see the difference.

I have read on a few forums that this trigger is difficult to install. I am going to disagree. I will however add the caveat that I am a Mechanical Engineer by trade and had some very good experience with this type of trigger set up when I installed a Jard, Inc trigger group on a Ruger Charger.

I followed the written directions but JP also includes a DVD with video instructions. I found the written instructions to be very clear and precise. The only suggestion I would make is that they make it clear that the safety selector switch does not need to be removed or if it is removed to make installation of the trigger easier, then it should be replaced before setting the sear engagement. If you don't (like I did) you will end up having to set it up again as the selector switch will not fit past the trigger once it is set correctly.

The hardest part of the installation was setting the disconnector. Once again the instructions were very clear about there being two types of issues with the disconnector. The first being that the disconnector will not release the hammer, the second being the hammer not engaging the sear surface when let go by the disconnector. I ended up having the first issue. The fix was not hard at all, I was just a bit worried about removing too much metal and messing up my disconnector. I needn't have worried. Once again, following the instructions to the letter got me all fixed up without any pain at all.

All in all it took me a little less than 45 minutes to do the job. That includes gathering tools and putting them away. I will admit I went slowly. If I have to install another I would bet I could do it in about 20 minutes.

Now the good part. I have a very crisp single-stage trigger that breaks consistently at 2.8# and has virtually no overtravel.

Unfortunately, I won't get to shoot it for a little while due to having to go overseas for work, but when I get back there will be some coyotes and hogs that will be getting a high-speed lead education.

Sorry for the long post. I just wanted to share.

That's great! The only issues I've had with the lightweight single stage triggers is doubling. I had a Jard that was a great feeling trigger, but everyone that shot it would get doubles on occasion. It was unusable on anything with a heavier recoil than a .223. It would rip off 3 or more when I had it in a .308.

I'm much more comfortable with a quality 2 stage in an autoloader. I just can't get comfortable with a s/s that set that light.

Back
Top Bottom